How ‘America’s Dad’ fell from public grace

Bill+Cosby+leaves+the+courthouse+after+his+conviction+on+April+26.+
Bill Cosby leaves the courthouse after his conviction on April 26.

Photo courtesy of AP Newsroom

Photo courtesy of AP Newsroom

Beginning with his days on “I Spy” and up to his portrayal as the lovable Cliff Huxtable on the “The Cosby Show,” for most of his career Bill Cosby managed to maintain a clean-cut image to fans and the public eye. Through his scripted television roles, Cosby was often portrayed as a wholesome father and a devoted, beloved family man.

Through his role as Cliff Huxtable, a positive black father figure in television when there was a lack of representation, Cosby helped make “The Cosby Show” a staple in television. Such roles further solidified his status as an admired actor and comedian.

“The image of black fatherhood depicted by Mr. Cosby through ‘The Cosby Show’ was one almost wholly bereft from television at that point,” said Kelly Kessler, an associate professor who teaches media and cinema studies.

“The ‘70s were full of single parent ghetto sitcoms, buffoonish nuclear families, and an occasional two-parent Black family in shows like Norman Lear’s ‘Good Times’,” Kessler said.

“But Bill Cosby as Cliff Huxtable was America’s father. He simultaneously brought a new image of black fatherhood to television and became everyone’s dad, regardless of race,” she said “The runaway Nielsen numbers show that.”

Cosby also did extensive charity work, which included fundraising for groups such as the Jackie Robinson Foundation, Robert F. Kennedy Memorial, and Jumpstart, an organization that promotes literacy and childhood education. In 1988, Cosby donated $20 million to Spelman College, a historically black college in Atlanta.

All of this helped Cosby build an image that ultimately shielded the comedian from the sexual assault allegations that followed him. In April, these allegations were ruled credible, with Cosby being convicted on three counts of sexual assault. At 80-years-old, he could spend the rest of his life in prison.

How did Cosby manage to trick so many people into believing he was a righteous moral exemplar? Could no one see the real Cosby, the same Cosby who would stand accused of sexually assaulting approximately 60 women throughout the course of his career?

In reality, once the Hollywood cameras stopped rolling, Cosby shed his family-man persona and replaced it with something more sinister.

Despite the conviction, though, Cosby’s achievements cannot be undone.

“His philanthropic contributions are extensive as is his history of sexual predation,” said Jalylah Burrell, the Ida B. Wells-Barnett Postdoctoral Fellow at DePaul. “I think the public can wrestle with the complexity of humanity. It is possible to do tremendous good while causing catastrophic harm,” she said.

There have been several publicly criticized incidents in Cosby’s career that began to crack the facade of his family man image.

In 2004, during the NAACP’s 50th anniversary celebration for the landmark Brown v. Board of Education decision, Cosby ranted about domestic violence in the black community in relation to childhood illiteracy.

The rant is now known as the “Pound Cake Speech.” Cosby also criticized the black community for teen pregnancy rates, single-parent households, incorrect grammar use and failing to make progress after the Civil Rights era.

Jill Stewart, a public relations and advertising instructor, attended one of Cosby’s stand-up shows and also saw the difference between the on-screen Cosby and the in-person Bill Cosby.

“I heard Bill Cosby perform in Las Vegas in 1981, and that shaped my opinion of him permanently,” she said. “I thought he just ‘phoned in.’ He just sat in a chair on the stage and he leaned back like he wasn’t working very hard, and he was smoking cigars and telling jokes. I was really turned off, and that had nothing to do with the sexual allegations that came out much later.”

As a revered celebrity, Cosby, like many other celebrities, managed to warp the public’s perception of him. He was able to use their perceptions as a cloak to hide who he really was all along.

Stewart also explained the possible role that PR could have had throughout Cosby’s career.

“I would imagine that if Bill Cosby had a PR team, they would have done everything they could to discredit the women, and that seems a little unfair to me, because the celebrity always has the advantage. Balances of power tilt towards men who are powerful and wealthy,” she said.

Not only has Cosby’s Hollywood star been removed, but several universities have taken back his honorary degrees. The latest fall from grace for a beloved star is a wake up call reminding us that celebrities are human.

Stripped of all image, celebrities like Bill Cosby and the others accused of sexual assault are not to be revered or idolized. They may have more money and fame than the average person, but celebrities are no better than anyone else. They are talented actors, comedians, directors, models, singers, but they are also human. They are not angels or idols to be revered. As these sexual assault charges emphasize, people with celebrity status are just as capable as anyone else of committing unspeakable acts.

9 Responses to “How ‘America’s Dad’ fell from public grace”

1. lamuel moore on June 3rd, 2018 3:12 am

Hello Everyone,,my is Lamuel i want to share my testimony result to the general public
    on how this great man called Dr OZI cure my HERPES VIRUS
    disease. I have been a HEPES positive for over 11 month
    and i have been in pains until i came across this lady when i
    traveled to Africa for Business trip who happen to once been
    a HERPES virus, i explained every thing to her and she
    told me that there is this Great Dr, that help her to cure her
    Herpes virus and she gave me his email address for me
    to contact and i did as she instructed. And the great man DR OZI
    told me how much to buy the Herpes herbal medication
    and how i will get it, which i did. And to my greatest surprise
    that i took the Herpes herbal medicine for just one week
    and behold i went for a Herpes test, for to my greatest
    surprise for the Doctor confirmed me to Herpes free and
    said that i no longer have Herpes in my system and till now
    i have never felt any Herpes again, so i said i must testify
    the goodness of this man to the general public for if you are
    there surfing from this Herpes problems or any deadly
    disease or other virus for i will advice you to contact him
    on his email: droziherbalcurehome@gmail.com@gmail.com
    or whats app him on +2348060858046
    (1) HERPES
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) CANCER,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) HERPATETITS
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA..

2. Peter james on June 4th, 2018 6:14 pm

My name is Peter James From USA, Dr tebe is the only Dr who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn’t find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Nicole! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Dr tebe, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that any one who contacted him is always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you,so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative,i am very amazed and happy about the healing DrTebe gave to me from the help of his ancient herbs But if you feel like contacting Dr tebe at once you can email him now for your own healing too at:(drtebe2@gmail.com). or email him on his other email for fast help (dr_tebe2@yahoo.com) add him on whatsapp +2348140544262 Thanks

3. Caden Sage on June 5th, 2018 3:54 am

This is my story, a true life story on how I survived an abusive husband(s). Please read and share.

Leaving an abusive marriage was life threatening, I was scared of the post-divorce lifestyle. I felt starting afresh with another man seems impossible at my age because my husband(s) always downplays my emotions making me feel like a worthless woman. Yes, I was married thrice.

I was betrayed by a friend, cheated upon by husband(s), beaten, jailed but I never gave up, I chose to ride or die with my current 5-year-old marriage because of love, our children and our shared finance. Though I love my husband to a fault and believed I can change his mindset through spiritual means before we go our separate ways.

After domestic abuse and emotional conflicts comes spiritual father, Dr. Wakina with redemption and restoration via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with the spell that ended my abusive circle. I also escaped social pressure.

I wasn’t wrong afterall sticking to my husband and changing our lifestyle through spiritual doctors. Believe me, we’re living our dream lifestyle for over 5-months with much love and respect for each other.

4. williams rose on June 7th, 2018 4:33 pm

I’m indeed very happy for the great help that Dr. Peterwise rendered to me, I am here to give my testimony about a doctor who helped me in my life. I and my husband was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS last 4 years ago, we went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, on till one faithful day , we saw a blog whereby Dr. Peterwise cured a woman who also had herpes affection,we (Me and My HUSBAND) decided to contact him which we did, he asked us to buy some items, unfailingly we sent him the money he will need in buying the items required , He caste the spell and sent me some herbs. He asked me to go for check-up after 14 days of casting the spell, Luckily for me we were tested herpes negative, now I believe all these Testimonies about him on the internet, he is truly a great man, if you are going through the same problem and you need help you can contact the great Herbalist(peterwiseherbalhome@gmail.com) or call whatsApp +2348138073011

5. Miraclespellhome@yahoo.com on June 12th, 2018 5:42 am

I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Miracle, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Miracle,that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS,LOW SPERM COUNT,ALS,ANCE PIMPUS,LUPUS VIRUS,You Can “CONTACT Via : Email : (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) You Can Contact Him Today And Get Your Problem Solved Or”Whats-app +23408071398555,)))

6. Melanie Case on June 14th, 2018 6:07 pm

Hello Everyone out there,I am here to give my testimony about a Herbalist doctor who helped me . I was infected with HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS in 2011, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so I was thinking how can I get a solution out so that my body can be okay. One day I was in the river side thinking where I can go to get solution. so a lady walked to me telling me why am I so sad and i open up all to her telling her my problem, she told me that she can help me out, she introduce me to a doctor who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him. He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly. Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished . so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, you can also email him at {oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com}
    or whatsapp him number: +2349038382931.
    Contact him today and you will have a testimony…Good luck!

Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease

7. Katia Cilen on June 16th, 2018 5:26 am

My name is Katia Cilen ,I am from Dallas USA. I was suffering from Herpes for over 5 years now, i was hopeless until one of my friend directed me to a man called Dr Jaguai, she said he cures cancer,herpes,Diabetes,HIV and that he is also a spell caster who cast spell to bring ex lovers back together, Love Spells, Lost Love Spells, Divorce Spells,Marriage Spells,Binding Spell,Breakup Spells,Banish a past Lover,You want to be promoted in your office/ Lottery spell,Want to satisfy your lover e.t.c, i never believed her but after a lot of talk with my friend, i decided to give him a try, just few days ago i contacted him and he told me what to do which i did and he prepared a herbal medicine and sent to me with prescriptions on how i will take it for a period of 15 days. After i finished taking the medicine he told me to go for a test which i also did and when the result came out i was surprised to see that i am negative,I am proud to tell you that i am the most happiest person on earth. i will for ever be grateful to God Almighty for using Dr Jaguai to reach me when i thought it is all over, today i am a happy woman Big thanks to Dr Jaguai If you have any problem with your health and your relationship or any other Case. Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
    through his email AT: drjaguai@gmail.com

8. Ben Rita on June 19th, 2018 12:53 am

Am really grateful and thankful for what Dr.Onokun has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/ AIDS for good three years with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and because I was unable to work and I was also losing lots of money for medication, but one faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him today. if you need his help or you also want to get cured just the way I got mine, just email him below and get your healing. please get in touch with this (Dronokunherbalcure@gmail.com) or whatsapp him +2349064844957 . Thank you, Dr. onokun for such a blessed creation. May God allow your legacy to live on. Your products could heal the world.

9. Yvonne Andrews on June 19th, 2018 6:55 am

My father had ALS (amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) for 3 years His first symptoms were weakness in his hands and losing his balance which led to stumbling and falling. He never lost the ability to swallow or breathe. His one hand, then his legs, were affected first; then his arms. The Rilutek (riluzole) did very little to help him. The medical team did even less. His decline was rapid and devastating. The psychological support from the medical centre was non-existent and if it were not for the sensitive care and attention of his primary physician, he would have died . There has been little if any progress in finding a cure or reliable treatment. So this year his primary physician suggested we started him on Natural Herbal Gardens ALS Herbal mixture which eased his anxiety a bit,We ordered their ALS herbal treatment after reading alot of positive reviews, i am happy to report this ALS herbal treatment reversed my dad condition. His quality of life has greatly improved and every one of his symptoms including difficulty in walking and slurred speech are gone. Their official web site is w w w. naturalherbalgardens. c o m He will be 74 soon and can now go about his daily activities

• How ‘America’s Dad’ fell from public grace

Opinions

The opioid crisis finds itself in Suburbia, USA, and the silence around it is deadly

Opinions

Call me, maybe: The case for why phone calls are better than text messages

Opinions

Our obsession with killers continues to distort our ability to separate the murders from the mugshot

Opinions

Left on read

Opinions

Don’t call Israel an apartheid state

Opinions

Open letter to the DePaul Board of Trustees: Make your investment profile public

Opinions

Not a death sentence: Why we need to change the way we talk to cancer patients

Opinions

Kanye West’s pro-Trump views don’t add up

Opinions

Puff puff pass – in class?: How vapes are changing the futures of teenagers

Opinions

Light-skinned Latinxs can be privileged, too