Filed under News

‘Vinny Vow’ workshop tackles sexual assault, bystander intervention

Before entering their first college classes, fresh-faced freshmen are often told about the pervasiveness of sexual assault on campus, not just at DePaul but at universities around the nation. After orientation, some rarely hear about sexual assault again until April, sexual assault awareness month (SAAM).

At DePaul, the month coincides with a greater push for bystander intervention training through “Vinny Vow” workshops that are aimed at increasing not only awareness, but students’ ability to intervene.

Vinny Vow, which teaches potential bystanders safe and positive ways they can act to prevent or intervene when there is a risk for sexual and relationship violence, are often done by request. Student organizations and others can request for members of Health Promotion and Wellness (HPW) to come in and teach them the skills they may need to combat sexual violence.

“What’s great about bystander intervention is that it gives you the skills to intervene and that’s what’s unique about it,” Shannon Suffoletto, director of HPW, said. “A lot of times you’re going through education, which is great, but this workshop is giving you a skill, lets you practice that skill. That equips you differently to move into the world and do something about it.”

Nationally, sexual assault awareness month usually means introspection — campaigns pushing for awareness and broadcasting facts are often accompanied by efforts on college campuses to make students aware of how the issue could impact them.

DePaul’s bystander training is partially a response to data gathered from the Diverse Learning Environments survey, which looks at the university’s campus climate. For sexual assault, the results were in line with national averages — across the board, students don’t report assaults to the police or to campus police.

new-piktochart_551_d4341ebcbe4554d1b491516cd36830276d44565fVinny Vow was created in part because of this. By teaching students how they can intervene, the hope is that they can help create a safer environment for all.

Haley Majetich, a DePaul student who has participated in and facilitated Vinny Vow workshops, said that the experience helps students connect to others within the student body and build a sense of community.

“It’s not just us spitting facts or definitions at you, it’s a chance to really be hands on,” Majetich said. “You get to see how others view sexual assault and the barriers to intervening.”

The perception of sexual assault on college campuses has grown over the past six years and universities, including DePaul, now take part in studies of their campus climate to understand what’s going well and what’s still lacking. For SAAM, DePaul offers a variety of activities and conversations to engage students about issues related to sexual health and sexual violence.

In regards to sexual assault, many universities are creating programs and engaging with students through education and workshops to try to mitigate the problem.

DePaul’s diverse learning environment survey provided numbers that are helping departments like HPW approach education on sexual assault.

Around 7 to 8 percent of female students reported experiencing sexual assault during their time at DePaul — numbers that put them on par with other universities nationally. The data the university received did not specify the rate or non-binary or trans students who were sexually assaulted, but national data does indicate that non-binary and trans students are assaulted at higher rates.

A lower percentage of men, around 2 percent, also reported that they have been sexually assaulted. Around 60 percent of respondents reported that the assault happened while they were incapacitated due to drugs or alcohol.

For Karen Tamburro, DePaul’s Title IX coordinator, the importance of bystander intervention training is directly linked to those numbers and the fact that roughly three quarters of students will tell their friends about an assault rather than going to campus or city police.

“Statistics bear out that the frequency (of these assaults) is too often, it’s too much and it impacts too many of our students whether directly or indirectly,” Tamburro said about the importance of talking to students beyond freshman year and beyond Vinny Vow workshops requested by organizations. “To get us all more involved in the prevention piece so we don’t all have to be in crisis mode is a really important step for our community and in cultivating a community of respect.”

Creating a community of respect for Majetich, who has facilitated or taken part in 10 to 15 workshops, is one of the most important parts of the workshop and for SAAM. The DePaul community, she believes, can grow when talking about topics like sexual assault that make many uncomfortable.

“Sexual assault and sexual violence — even though people want to act like it’s not happening, like it’s not real — are relevant and really important,” Majetich said. “It affects more people than you know. And even if it’s uncomfortable, that’s where we grow. We grow by talking about these uncomfortable things.”

3 Responses to “‘Vinny Vow’ workshop tackles sexual assault, bystander intervention”

1. Sandra on July 13th, 2018 10:25 pm

I Basically think we all don’t have to face all these deceit and lies from our spouse…in a case of mine wen i got sick and tired of all the lies and deceit i had to contact a friend of mine to get me the contact of one of the best hackers in the states ..then i met enriquehackdemon11@gmail.com..He saved me from the lies of my cheating husband by hacking his phone..Incase you need help with hacking any phone or account or other jobs contact him via email/whatsapp :(ENRIQUEHACKDEMON11@GMAIL.COM) or whatsapp +1 6282035722 Tell him i reffered you.He will help you.

2. Mecca holmes on September 2nd, 2018 9:35 am

I never believed in natural herbal herbs cure or spells, not until i contacted
    this great man. I’ve been on Drugs since 2016, I was tested HIV+. 2. Due to some Family Issues, I had misunderstanding with my husband, and we went separated. But as i speak now I’m now HIV-, negative my husband is back with me and we are very happy again. I’m Very sure this Man can help every-one with HIS/HER problems. To me there is no problem that Dr.ojoka can’t solve. He also have herbs medicine to cure the following diseases;
    Herpes virus
    Diabetes
    Lupus
    Hepatitis A,B
    Infertility e.t.c
    Graves’ disease
    HIS MAIL ADDRESS____ Dr.ojokarootandherbal@gmail.com or call/whatsapp +2348144172934

3. Lisa Nayna Tumelo on May 15th, 2019 10:08 pm

The Great Dr.OLIHA herbal medicine is a good or perfect cure remedy for HIV Virus, I was diagnose of HIV for almost 5 years, everyday i am always on research looking for a perfect way to get rid of this terrible disease as i always knew that what we need for our health is right here on earth though the scientist say there is know cure for this disease,on my search I saw some different testimony on how Dr. OLIHA has been able to cure HIV with is herbal medicine. I decided to contact this man, I contacted him and he guided me on how to purchase for the medicine. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr. OLIHA herbal med icine, I’m very grateful to Dr. OLIHA, reach him now on (oliha.miraclemedicine@gmail.com ) or you can also call him on +2349038382931.

Dr. OLIHA Also Cures:
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    5. Hepatitis B
    6. chronic pancreatic
    7. Emphysema
    8. COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease)
    9. Asthma
    10.Acute angle-closure Glaucoma
    11. Diabetes
    12.CHRONIC PANCREATIC
    13.CHLAMYDIA
    14.ZIKA VIRUS

• ‘Vinny Vow’ workshop tackles sexual assault, bystander intervention

Metro

Illinois man found guilty in teen’s 1992 strangulation death

Metro

Unsealed file contains Smollett bail conditions

Metro

Lori Lightfoot sworn in as Chicago mayor; vows big reforms

Spring Carnival brightens up DePaul

Metro

COMMENTARY: Chicago will remember Emanuel as he was, not as he wants

Metro

Potential solutions to urban flooding not attainable for communities that need them most

Students break fast and learn about Ramadan at Interfaith Iftar

Metro

Pilsen proposes historic landmark to slow gentrification

Metro

Chicago public health department confirms measles case

Metro

Pregnant Chicago woman slain, baby cut from her womb