Savor

The DePaulia is cutting back our weekly print, but we aren’t going anywhere

Maya Oclassen

With few exceptions, The DePaulia has been printing weekly during the academic year since 1923. Through the Great Depression, two world wars and the Covid-19 pandemic, student journalists have worked tirelessly to produce a weekly paper for DePaul and Chicago’s community. But after 101 years, it is time for a change. The writing has been on the wall for over a decade; print journalism is not viable in its current form. Advertising revenue can no longer sustain The DePaulia’s print model. 

Do not fret. We are not going anywhere. Starting in fall 2024, under the leadership of new editor-in-chief Claire Tweedie, The DePaulia will switch to a biweekly print model. Every other Monday, we will bring you the most important stories you need with more frequent updates to our website and social media channels. In the last five years, we have already drastically decreased the number of print editions of the paper distributed on campus. Although we fondly remember the days when print newspapers were widely read, nearly all of our audience now engages with us exclusively through digital platforms, including our weekly email newsletter — subscribe to have all the stories you need delivered to your inbox. 

We know that our most loyal DePaulians love picking up the paper for the weekly crossword (we love it, too). Also starting in the fall, the crossword will be moved to digital. You will find a crossword in the biweekly print edition, but there will also be a new one every week on the website. We also hope to explore more games, more digital exclusives and everything else that will bring more readers to our content. 

While this may feel like a goodbye, it marks a new beginning. Our only goal is to produce high-quality, timely and fair and balanced  reporting to inform DePaul’s community. Our hope is that, with this reduction in print, we will have more resources and bandwidth to report more with the highest quality for another century to come. 

And with these changing times, we want to hear from you, our readers. Do you have a story idea? Do you want to contribute to your student paper? Let us know. If you are hankering for the print edition you know and love, check out the back issues from 1923 to present at the DePaul Library’s special collections and archives. Here is to new beginnings and even better reporting. We will see you in the fall.