Filed under Opinions

New year, new office, new plans

Dear readers,

We’ve got exciting news to share: our office moved from the basement of University Hall to the Lower Level concourse in the DePaul Center (1 E. Jackson). Instead of being tucked away in a quiet corner of Lincoln Park, we are happy to be working out of a large, clean and professional space that will allow us to produce what we hope will be better work.

Our new office space includes a work space, conference room, several private offices and a large television where we can broadcast our online and multimedia content. That being said, we are looking to revamp not only the way we function as a newspaper, but the way that we cover the news here at DePaul University.

A New Year’s resolution of the DePaulia editorial staff is to be able to foster a greater culture of passion, creativity and truth-seeking in news and content creation. Our publication wants to reflect the rich history, culture and sense of community that comes with being a Chicago-based publication with a Vincentian mission.

Since we are no longer in a space that requires us to sign in our visitors, we want our contributing writers, interested students, fellow truth-seekers and faithful readers to know that they are all welcome to stop by the office space and engage with us. In the coming weeks, we hope to host open-house events, panels, guest speakers and much, much more now that we have an accessible space to share with those who inspire us and want to work with us.

Over the break our online editor, Yazmin Dominguez, worked hard to revamp our website, which will now includes staff and writer bios, a breaking news ticker and a slide show of stories on our home page. We recently brought on two new online editors to help produce online-only content that will run independently of the paper. One of our 2018 resolutions was to drastically improve our online presence and engage our readers in other platforms besides the paper.

Our editorial staff is committed to staying engaged with the DePaul and greater Chicago community and bringing the public the news and content they are most interested in reading. Our goal is to be more approachable and involved. If you have issues or concerns with any aspect of the community, including the way in which our own publication is writing and reporting, please reach out and make your voice heard. We are here to help and represent you.

As always, you can reach us by email or phone, but we would love it if you stopped by Thursday from 6-8 or Friday and Sunday between 10 and 5 p.m.