Spring into movies: Five spring films to look forward to

"Kingsman: The Secret Service" will be released Feb. 13.
“Kingsman: The Secret Service” will be released Feb. 13.

As we continue to bury ourselves at home with hot chocolate and Netflix, the thought of spring is a warm reminder that this frigid forecast doesn’t last forever. With the holidays at an end, awards season slowly follows as people lose interest in seeing films, leaving the month of February with plenty of rotten films to miss. Yet, as spring nears closer, we are welcomed by both fresh and familiar characters to see at the cinema. Here are five films to look forward to this spring.

1.“Kingsman: The Secret Service”

Feb. 13

Director Matthew Vaughn helms yet another comic book adaption in this action-comedy focused on Eggsy (Taron Egerton), a local street thug who finds himself under the wing of the suave Harry Hart (Colin Firth), after Hart recruits him into Britain’s top secret spy organization. While Eggsy trains to become a Kingsman, a psychopathic tech-genius (Samuel L. Jackson) threatens to destroy the spies, along with the rest of the world. As bland as the plot may sound, this cast of British legends led by a talented director may surprise you.

2. “The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel”

March 6

Sequel to the 2012 British comedy, “The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel” the star-studded cast returns for another adventure at India’s most exotic resort. Yet due to popularity, young hotel owner Sonny (Dev Patel) must seek property to expand his resort as new customer Guy Chambers (Richard Gere) occupies the last room, while  Hotel regulars, Evelyn (Judi Dench) and Douglas (Bill Nighy) work at the resort in order to keep the foundation alive. This “Ocean’s Eleven” style cast features some of the UK’s most prominent actors. It’s a good enough reason to book your ticket for this comedy.

3. “Chappie”

March 6

Director Neill Blomkamp, known for his first feature, “District 9,” returns for another original sci-fi film this year. “Chappie” follows the life of its titular character, the world’s first artificially intelligent robot. Kidnapped and raised by local gangsters, Chappie (Sharlto Copley) soon becomes a childlike figure for this dysfunctional family, consisting of “Slumdog Millionaire” star, Dev Patel, and South African rap group, Die Antwoord, starring in their first film. As Chappie becomes his own man, he must also deal with the positive and negative importance of his creation.

4.“Cinderella”

March 13

Like “Snow White and the Huntsman” and last year’s “Maleficent,” this live-action adaption promises a magical retelling of the classic fairy tale we all know.  Directed by Shakespearian enthusiast Kenneth Branagh, “Cinderella” tells the journey of Ella (Lily James), who is forced to be a servant for her cruel stepmother (Cate Blanchett) after her father suspiciously dies. While the story may be one too familiar, this ensemble bounds to bring a twist; with Helen Bonham Carter as The Fairy Godmother, Stellan Skarsgård as the Duke and “Game of Thrones” Richard Madden as The Prince, “Cinderella” could be just the right fit for you.

5.“Furious 7”

April 3

For a film series that evolved from monotonous street races to enthralling cross-country heists, the Fast and the Furious franchise is a rare example of a series that has progressed effectively over time. The seventh installment of the series, titled “Furious 7” finds Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) and his crew in danger after being threatened by Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham), the revenge-seeking brother of their old villain. While “Furious 7” marks the film debut of Iggy Azalea, it is also the final film of Paul Walker. Walker, who died last year in a car accident, was half way through filming his scenes for “Furious 7.”