Weekend round up: April 11-13

Spend this weekend with Robots, fine art and free fancy French cheeses, as Chicago once again has a ton of fun and low cost (if not free) events going on this weekend.

ξ

Robot Block Party, Museum of Science and Industry Friday, April 11 – Sunday, April 13, All Day

The Museum of Science and Industry is celebrating National Robotics week with a Robot Block Party. All this weekend, the museum will be full of demonstrations, workshops and lectures from top university robot scholars. There’s a variety of hands-on robot displays to check where you can interact with the tech, including “PLEO” a robotic pet dinosaur that emulates the appearance and behavior of a week-old baby Camasaurus. Saturday is full of a ton of presentations from robotics Students and Professors covering topics that range from wearable exoskeletons to the uncanny valley of robotics. Sunday features the BotBall Championship where you can watch robots designed by middle and high school students compete against each other. All of the Robot Block Party activities are covered by the purchase of a regular admittance ticket for $15.

ξ

Slow Art Day, DePaul Art Museum Saturday, April 12, 12 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.

The concept of Slow Art Day is a simple one: take one day out of the year to slowly look at and experience art, without the aid of an art expert. The goal is to allow art viewers to make their own discoveries about the art and create more art fans. This year’s slow art day is Saturday April 12, were several galleries around the country will be hosting slow art day events, including DePaul’s own Art Museum. The event is free and afterward there will be a lunch at the Bourgeois Pig Caf’ÛΩ to discuss the experience. Registering online at Eventbrite’s website is recommended but not required to attend the event.

ξ

4th Annual Pastoral Artisan Producer Fest, Chicago French market Saturday, April 12, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.

For anyone who enjoys delicious Artisan Cheese, bread and wine make sure to visit the Chicago French Market this Saturday to sample a wide array of delicious delicacies. The festival features nearly 100 award-winning artisans from around the world there will be small batches of food, beer, spirits and wine. Come hungry because the event is free and open to the public.

ξ

CHIRP Record Fair and Other Delights, Chicago Journeymen Plumber’s Union Saturday, April 12, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.

Non-profit independent radio station CHIRP Radio is hosting the 12th annual CHIRP Record Fair, featuring 50 local and regional vinyl vendors offering a wide selection of rare and out of print LPs. General admission begins at 10 a.m. and costs $7, but $25 early access passes get you in at 8 a.m. before all the plebs arrive. Stick around for DJ sets by the Windy City Soul Club, music quizzes, and much more.