Great Expectations: How Valentine’s Day has changed over the years

Back during the reign of the Roman Empire, a festival called the feast of Lupercalia was celebrated from Feb. 13-15 and it was a time where women would line up, eager to be beaten by drunk and naked men. These men would first slaughter a goat and a dog, drink up and then beat their women until they were fertile and ready to bear children. This game of fertility was also a matchmaking game where, if the drunk, belligerent man liked his bruised woman enough, they would marry.

The name for this festival was not related to St. Valentine until the 5th century when Pope Gelasius I combined the pagan rituals with a celebration of St. Valentine. Even when this festival started to be considered a holiday, there were no roses or chocolates to be found. Hallmark Card Company didn’t start manufacturing the first Valentine’s cards until 1913.

The fad caught on to the point where it is now expected that every child bring enough Valentines for every other child in their classroom. If you don’t buy a Valentine for your wife, you’ll be hearing about it until the next Valentine’s Day rolls around. There are expectations set in place because people just like to receive gifts from other people. While this is simply human nature these days, Valentine’s Day is quite simply a made-up holiday.

I don’t mean to say that it’s bad to tell your significant other that you love them and give them sweet trinkets on a certain day in February (even though you just did it in December), but the regulated giving of affection is, frankly, a little ridiculous. If you love someone then buy her roses on a Tuesday in April or a Friday in November. Buy your boyfriend cigars because you know he likes them, not because you know he’s expecting a gift and he really doesn’t like getting more socks.

Think of it this way, if you buy them a couple of inexpensive gifts throughout the year, there will be less pressure on the holidays because it’s no longer Judgment day. I’m not opposed to giving gifts. But, I’ve seen the type of pressure people fall under to get their mom, dad, boyfriend, girlfriend and best friend the perfect gift.

First of all, it really is the thought that counts. Second, the holidays should not be a stressful time. I’m positive that almost every girl is fine getting chocolate throughout the year. And it definitely beats getting smacked around by a drunk, naked dude who could like you a little too much and wind up your husband.

Clearly we’ve come a long way from the Roman Empire, but the expectations hovering over everyone when a holiday comes around is bogus. Buy cards all year! Eat chocolate all year! Don’t wait until Feb. 14 to tell people you love them. Tell them everyday.