Letter to the editor: A staff and adjunct perspective

Amber Stoutenborough

Students gather along Sheffield Ave between Fullerton and Belden Ave on April 10 to show support for faculty and staff at risk of losing their jobs in wake of DePaul’s budget gap.

Much has been written in this paper and on social media about DePaul’s financial picture, with an unfortunate wave of acrimony and outright misstatements being shared. What has surprised me as much as the vitriol is how very little has been expressed — or even considered — from the perspective of the two groups of employees most directly and severely impacted by next year’s projected budget gap: University Staff and Adjunct Faculty. (Notable exceptions are Samantha Moilanen and Kevin Holechko’s pieces.) These employees are the most vulnerable, working without contracts or job protection, and if we’re honest, often the most marginalized on and off campus.

I fall into both of these job categories, having just completed my 10th year as full-time staff and my eighth year as an adjunct of accounting. But I write as much in the hopes that my participation this year on the Strategic Resource Allocation Committee (SRAC) will provide greater context, facts, and grace to the conversations around DePaul’s finances.

Regarding SRAC:

It cannot be overstated that DePaul is not in a financial crisis, and I very much hope this paper will stop perpetuating that misnomer through its website banners. To the contrary, we are having these hard conversations now in order to avoid any crises or deficits in the future.

Second, despite what has been written and intimated SRAC includes four dedicated Faculty members and Kevin as SGA President, all of whom have given their hearts and minds to the over 40 meetings we have held since September — and all on top of our normal work and study loads. Soon after he began as president, Dr. Manuel charged SRAC with working together and in good faith while working toward a FY24 budget proposal for his review, and I am very proud of the tough conversations this group has had in very trying times. The faculty, staff, students and administration represented on SRAC rarely make a comment, let alone a recommendation without considering the impacts on members of our community.

Many have rightly asked how DePaul’s mission and values are reflected in its budget. In considering this important question, I start at the top and see institutional financial aid increasing next year at a significantly higher rate than that of tuition increases (6% v. 3% increases, respectively). This contributes a great deal to the projected budget gap, but goes to the heart of our mission from the outset. It’s been a commitment DePaul has kept through recessions and the pandemic, and I amplify my pride in our financial support of the most vulnerable students every chance I get.

What also contributes substantially to the projected gap is the 3.5% merit increase proposed across all employee budget lines and the continued strong university contribution to eligible retirement accounts — both a recognition by SRAC and President Manuel that we need to take care of our own, particularly with high inflation at home.

As employees, however staff and adjuncts live on average in the lowest ends of the pay scale, receive the least in dollars from this merit pool, may not even be eligible for a university retirement account, and thus are the groups contributing least to the budget gap we face.

Regarding adjuncts:

Adjunct faculty teach over 40% of DePaul’s courses. They are often the first to be asked at the last minute to fill in for course staffing gaps — and are also the first to be asked to step down during financial challenges. In March 2020, for example, I was asked to pick up five accounting sections for the spring term starting just weeks away, as one or more FT faculty were struggling with Covid at home. I love teaching and, fortunately, had already taught the two courses I took on, albeit not online and not with 175 students at a time.

This happens to many adjunct faculty every year and needs to be appreciated.

Regarding staff:

Those of us who have been here 10 or more years have seen waves of layoffs and the sun-setting of positions. I have had the great fortune of working with wonderful and dedicated people across campus — from the University Library, Office of General Counsel, Human Resources, Financial Affairs, Academic Affairs, Facilities Ops, Public Safety, Advancement, Center for Students with Disabilities, Student Affairs — but our numbers have decreased steadily and almost dollar-for-dollar with decreases in tuition revenue (this includes the offices of top University Administration). As I cite in Samantha’s DePaulia article last week, both net tuition revenue and total staffing payroll have decreased by approximately 7% since 2013; total faculty pay has increased nearly 2%; this includes tenured, term and adjunct.

I say from experience and data that staffing levels have not contributed to the budget gap we are now facing, but staff are taking on a full 50% of reductions in FY24.

We staff are not administrative bloat. I hear this phrase and reject it wholeheartedly. If DePaul had bloat, it’s long disappeared. They were cherished and passionate colleagues who have left DePaul since 2013, whether voluntary or involuntary.

Please give our staff grace and support as you face decreases or slowdowns in services and support. Perhaps because I just turned 50 and have crested that proverbial hill, I no longer desire to live very long in a place of fear, resentment or anger — let alone work in one. I hope our community can move together with respect, dignity and grace.

I wouldn’t want it any other way.