Fall video game preview: “Dishonored”

In many ways the video game industry is like the film industry. The big video game companies tend to rely on their big moneymakers, making sequel after sequel instead of betting on new properties. So when publishers put their faith behind promising, original titles, it is important to take notice. In this instance, the venerable game development company Bethesda Softworks have put their faith in a new property developed by Arkane Studios entitled “Dishonored.”

“Dishonored” is a first-person stealth-action game set in the fictional steam-punk city of Dunwall. The city of Dunwall is inspired not only by futuristic technology, but by shadowy, mystical forces as well. This fusion of past and future, coupled with dark mysticism, establishes a truly unique tone for the game, a perfect backdrop for the twisted narrative that takes place within. The story follows Corvo Attano, a legendary bodyguard to the beloved Empress of Dunwall. When the Empress is murdered, however, Corvo is framed for the crime. To exact revenge on those who wronged him, Corvo must become a lethal assassin and clear his name. Corvo must rely on stealth, gadgets, wits, and mystical abilities imbued upon him by a mysterious being known as “The Outsider.”

Gameplay is based around player choice in a very freeing and highly tactical way. The player is given complete freedom as to how he or she wants to take out the target. Challenges can be approached by using stealth, pure combat or a combination of the two. Map exploration can reveal seemingly endless avenues for choice. Simply put, there is no “one way” to approach any obstacle.

While individual powers may prove effective, it is when players creatively combine abilities that the game’s true potential shines through. Throughout the course of the game, Corvo can attain several different unique powers, which can help him find and slay his enemies. But these powers can be used in unison to truly create havoc. For example, a player could cast the power “Devouring Swarm” which summons a legion of rats, then attach a bomb to one of the rats. The player could then use the power “possession” to control the rat with the bomb attached. Finally, the player can take his enemies by surprise and blow up the bomb by proxy, taking the target out without the player ever entering the room. The number of combinations is limited only by the player’s imagination.

Beyond magical abilities, players have a range of physical weapons at their disposal, which they can modify to become even more powerful. Knives, crossbows, bombs and traps can all be employed to take out even the toughest of enemies.

The voice cast of “Dishonored” is another point of interest, as the game is voiced by some Hollywood A-listers. Players will recognize the voices of Susan Sarandon (Dead Man WalkingRocky Horror Picture Show) as Granny Rags, Brad Dourif (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest, Lord of the Rings) as Piero, John Slattery (Mad Men) as Admiral Havelock, Michael Madsen (Reservoir DogsKill Bill) as Daud, Lena Headey (Cirsei Lannister in Game of Thrones) as Calista, Chloe Grace Moretz (Kick-AssHugo) as Emily and Carrie Fisher (Star WarsThe Blues Brothers) as the voice of Dunwall’s propaganda machine.

Putting faith (and money) behind a new property like “Dishonored” is certainly a gamble on the part of Bethesda Softworks, but from the looks of it, they put their bucks behind the right horse.