SGA: Dean Koocher visits, College of Science and Health expands, diverse enrollment

Student Government Association met for the last time this quarter on Thursday, March 3, discussing topics including course evaluations and Blue Demon Week 2017 Committee applications.

Guest Speaker

• Dean Gerald Koocher from the College of Science and Health: Koocher spoke on the expansion of the college. It continues to develop five-year masters programs and add new majors. He said that talking to his two SGA Senators, Madeline Bolton and Megan Scoville, helped him push for an EMT program. The college will research incorporating an EMT program as a one-credit course.
  • “I would bet that six to seven years down the road, DePaul will have a medical school, without the burden of a hospital. And a pharmacy school, and a therapy school, and so forth,” said Koocher, speaking on developing relationships with Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. He said that Father Dennis Holtschneider has expressed his approval of this venture.
  • “I will tell you, I’ve worked in a lot of places. DePaul is the best place I’ve ever worked,” he said. “I have met very few people (here) who aren’t on board with making a difference in the world.”
  • He fielded questions from Treasurer Damien Wille, EVP for Academic Affairs Kristina Pouliot, and EVP for Academic Affairs Adriana Kemper.

New Business

• SGA recognized two resignations, one from Clark Fox from his seat as Senator for Fourth and Fifth Year Students, and the other from Jocelyn McGee from her seat as Senator for School of New Learning.
  • Junior Jack Piazza applied as Senator for Commuter Students. After deliberation, SGA welcomed him as its newest member.

President’s Report

• Course evaluations: President Vanessa Cadavillo emphasized SGA’s campaign encouraging students to fill out course evaluations. Course evaluations will be due over the next few weeks.
  • The SGA president at Northern Illinois University has reached out to over 70 Illinois universities to sign a joint letter to Gov. Rauner in regards to his veto of SB-2043. President Cadavillo will sign her name to this letter and send a letter to Gov. Rauner on behalf of DePaul University.
  • Blue Demon Week ’17: Cadavillo announced that Blue Demon Week 2017 Committee Applications are available on Org Sync. Applications are due and interviews will take place before the end of winter quarter.
  • Diverse enrollment: Cadavillo met with the Board of Trustees before the SGA meeting. She shared enrollment totals from the meeting. “For winter quarter enrollment, we’re at 22,661 students,” she said. “In terms of diversity in enrollment, this year we’ve had the highest diversity at the university with 8,229 students of color who identified themselves as people of color when they applied for school,” she said. It connects to what Dean Koocher said about DePaul: “we are a University that looks like Chicago.” Diverse students now represent 35 percent of all students at DePaul, what Cadavillo called a “historic high.”

Awards

• Cadavillo distributed end-of-quarter awards to three senators.
  • Senators of the Quarter: Michael Mulligan and Michael Greene
  • Cabinet Member of the Quarter: Adriana Kemper

Vice President’s Report

• Vice President Ric Popp collected MAP Advocacy postcards from senators. SGA members will address the cards and hand-deliver them in Springfield on April 20.

EVP Reports

• Book swap: EVP for Academic Affairs Kristina Pouliot shared dates for her library book swap initiative. Students will be able to donate textbooks at the John T. Richardson Library during the first three days of winter quarter finals: March 14 (6 p.m. to 12 a.m.), March 15 (11 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and March 16 (11 a.m. to 4 p.m.).
  • EVP for Operations Adriana Kemper continues to plan an event promoting DePaul Handshake and the ASK Program. The Vinny Van will return from March 13 to March 16. It will be stationed between the SAC and the library.
  • EVP for Student Affairs Patrick Pfohl promoted the Admitted Student Days on March 4 and 5. There will be a voter registration table in the LPC Student Center Atrium on Tuesday, March 8 from 11 am to 4 pm.

Senator Reports

• Event: Senator for First Year Student Andrew Willett continues to work with Chartwell’s in planning an event sponsored by Mountain Dew.
  • Discount theater tickets: Senator for The Theatre School JD Garrastegui again shared that students can obtain discounts at theaters all across Chicago. Specifically, he mentioned the code “10TIX” which gets $10 tickets at Goodman Theatre.