Pope Francis addresses political and spiritual issues in D.C.

Pope Francis delivers the Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine Wednesday before an estimated 25,000 people.
Pope Francis delivers the Mass at the Basilica of the National Shrine Wednesday before an estimated 25,000 people. (Megan Deppen / The DePaulia)

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Thousands flocked to Washington, D.C. over the last three days as Pope Francis marked his first ever visit to the United States with both spiritual and political items on his agenda.

Francis, the first Latin-American pope, left Washington Thursday after days filled with activities that included a visit to the White House to meet with President Obama, a parade to greet the masses, a canonization Mass and capped with a historic address to the U.S. Congress, the first time a pope had done so.

At the White House, the pontiff and Obama united around their common effort to combat climate change.

“Mr. President, I find it encouraging that you are proposing an initiative for reducing air pollution,” Pope Francis said. “Accepting the urgency, it seems clear to me also that climate change is a problem which can no longer be left to a future generation. When it comes to the care of our ‘common home’, we are living at a critical moment of history.”

Obama, who met the pope last year on a trip to the Vatican, echoed the excitement many shared over the pope’s revitalization of the church.

“I believe the excitement around your visit must be attributed not only to your role as pope, but to your unique qualities as a person,” Obama said. “In your humility, your embrace of simplicity, the gentleness of your words and the generosity of your spirit, we see a living example of Jesus’ teachings, a leader whose moral authority comes not just through words but also through deeds.”

Later that day, Francis celebrated Mass in front of more than 25,000 people at the Basilica of the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception on the campus of Catholic University in Washington. There, he canonized Junipero Serra, an early settler of California who was an advocate for immigrants.

[box]Read additional coverage of Pope Francis’ visit to Washington, D.C.[/box]

The Mass had a diverse flare as multiple languages were utilized, including Latin, English and Spanish. The latter is the pope’s native language and the one he used to deliver his homily. The atmosphere in outside the basilica could be described as jubilant and joyful.

“I think it’s just wonderful. So many thousands of people coming together to praise God,” said Linda Thiel, a Dominican Sister who traveled from Grand Rapids, Mich. to attend the Mass. “And of course with the pope, it was wonderful. The lady next to me said it was better than her wedding Mass in terms of the joy.”

For Fernando Reyes, who came with his family from Northern Virginia, the best part of the Mass was the pope’s homily.

“It was special for us because he did the message in Spanish,” Reyes said. “I’m from Mexico and I’ve lived here for over 15 years. It’s just special for the Spanish community. It’s a blessing and I’m glad that we were here.”

Attendees wait for the evening Mass to start on the lawn of the Basilica of the National Shrine Wednesday. Some were at the site to claim spots in the early morning. (Megan Deppen / The DePaulia)

Thiel said in addition to the pope being about forgiveness, love and compassion, she is inspired by his message of being courageous.

This was on full display as the pope tackled several important political issues on his trip, including climate change, the arms trade, immigration and the death penalty. He touched on all these things in his historic address to Congress on Thursday. There, he also encouraged leaders to come together on important issues that will allow for positive change to be achieved.

“When countries which have been at odds resume the path of dialogue – a dialogue which may have been interrupted for the most legitimate of reasons – new opportunities open up for all,” the pope said.
“This has required, and requires, courage and daring, which is not the same as irresponsibility. A good political leader is one who, with the interests of all in mind, seizes the moment in a spirit of openness and pragmatism.”

Father Michael Pfleger, the pastor of St. Sabina Church in Chicago’s Auburn Gresham neighborhood and social activist, attended the congressional address and was impressed with what he heard.

“I particularly liked his talking about the violence and arms race, and (questioning) how can we keep selling guns and arms,” Pfleger said. “And he said it’s all about money and he said the money is drenched in blood. And that to me was so powerful.”

When asked what he thought made this pope different from others, Pfleger said everything.

“No, really, from the time he gets off the plane and gets into the Fiat to his humbleness,” Pfleger said. “I think other popes have had a concern for the poor, (but) he has a passion for the poor. And I think his experience in South America and his Jesuit background combined make him very sensitive to the vulnerable and to the hurting. It’s not just an important part of him, it’s a passion to him.”

Many Republican Catholics have been uncomfortable with the direction the pope is going in, with one congressman even boycotting the speech. For Pfleger, however, the pope is just following the Gospel.

“I heard he was asked in the plane if he was Catholic. And I think what’s happened is that it’s been so long since we’ve heard the real Gospel preached that it sounds radical,” Pfleger said. “But what he’s preaching and teaching is the Gospel that we need to hear.”

“He’s following Jesus,” he added. “Jesus was very political.”

Pfleger, who has long been a prominent figure in the Chicago archdiocese for his activism on issues such as gun violence and drug abuse, said it is important that the church speaks to such ills in society.

“Our job as religious leaders and as Christians is to speak to the politics and to the state and to the government about issues of climate change, poverty, violence, and inclusion,” Pfleger said. “So I think he’s doing exactly what the Gospel calls for us to do.”

Francis is now in New York City and will travel to Philadelphia for the World Meeting of Families before departing for Rome on Sunday.