DePaul’s edgy and sweet Delmar & the Dedications coming to Subterranean

Leave to a couple of our own to make some thing so seemingly contradictory into a seamless surprise. The half-DePaul band, Delmar & the Dedications, experiment with the marriage of the Motown girl-group vibe and edgy, first-wave punk rock. Think Johnny Rotten does “Please Mister Postman” at a Cali beach party. Weirdly tempting.

“Our songs have that all too familiar bubblegum pop feel, which we hope takes our audience back to their earlier innocent teenage years of kissing in the back seat of their dad’s car or holding hands at a movie,” explains Delmar singer and guitarist Zach Weinberg, senior, who joins bassist Peter Murphy, senior, as the band’s Blue Demon implants. “True to that teenage attitude, however, all of us have been playing in and out of punk bands for years, so our punk side definitely shows through live.”

That punk side will be proudly displayed this Wed., March 23, at Subterranean – 2011 W. North Ave. – as the band plays the Wicker Park hotspot with Eli “Paperboy” Reed and the True Loves.

The band’s recorded tracks are accessible at letsplayspinthebottle.bandcamp.com, but Weinberg believes the D&TD experience is best received face-to-face: “Delmar & the Dedications’ live show brings an additional kick to our already edgy take on the ’60s girl-group sound.”

Punks beware, the band, which snagged a little note of praise from the Chicago Sun-Times in January, expects you to dance this Wednesday. Well, dance and makeout. Delmar sets the stage for you to do the mashed potato, and perhaps even relive what your parents’ first kiss might have been like – if that’s not too creepy.

“You should come to the show if you tend to find yourself checking out YouTube clips of old American Bandstand or Soul Train episodes,” Weinberg said. “There’s going to be a lot of ’60s influences going on, so definitely come out if you want to dance. In the end, I’m just happy if I see a few kids in the audience getting their smooch on.”

The doors open at 7:30 p.m., and the show kicks off at 8 p.m. The show is 17+, and $12 gets you in.

(The band wants to cut you a deal, because free junk is the best kind, even if it is a bribe: First 30 people at the Delmar & the Dedications merch booth get a free beer kozy and a free download card for their EP.)