Adjunct professor Joe Marconi dies at age 66

Some knew Joseph Marconi as an expert in communication, marketing and public relations. Others knew him as an author. But DePaul University knew him as a passionate professor who changed the lives of many through his love for teaching.

For those of you who did not have the pleasure of knowing Marconi, he was an adjunct professor here at DePaul and at Columbia College.

Marconi is the author of 17 books and various magazine articles. He has also spoken across the U.S., Europe, China and Canada.

“I was always blown away at how easy Joe made it sound when writing a book,” Mike Reilly, a journalism instructor at DePaul, said. Reilly shared office space with Marconi. “He was smart and very clever about things. I was always impressed at all of the titles he had on the shelf in our office.”

His colleagues knew him for his intelligence, but they loved him for his humor and compassion.

“He was warm and welcoming, cracked a few jokes and put me at ease. I’ll never forget his kindness,” said Matt Ragas public relations professor, who had his interview with DePaul in Marconi’s class.

He was not only a joy to be around, said communications professor Barb Willard, but he was also known for loving his students and caring about their development.

“He would often talk about his students’ projects, their triumphs and setbacks. He really cared,” Willard said.

And his students knew it. “He really believed that his students were all future leaders of the advertising world,” Tori Queri, a senior, said.

In an email Marconi sent to one of his last classes at DePaul, he said, “I know I always learn from each group of DePaul people I work with. I hope you come to experience in your own careers the richness I get from working with you.”

Senior Bailey Madden who was a student in Marconi’s “Advertising Campaigns” class said, “He taught me more about life and PR than any of my other teachers. His class was a class I always looked forward to attending.”

When students received word of Marconi’s passing there were various tweets and Facebook posts expressing their sadness.

“Sad to hear of the passing of #DePaul Prof Joe Marconi. To make class interesting is hard, but to make it relevant as well is rare,” tweeted Jennifer Healy, a DePaul alumnus.

The university is truly grieving over the loss of the beloved Joseph Marconi. Students and faculty alike adored him.

“We lost a great professor when we lost Joe,” said Willard.

The DePaul community sends its deepest condolences to his family. “I refuse to use the line that Joe will be missed. He is missed. By all of us,” said Reilley.

In the words of Joseph Marconi, “Love your life and the people you choose to include in it.”