What’s new on Netflix this year

Over 20 years since “Full House” ended, (almost) the whole cast is reuniting for “Fuller House” ­— a spinoff following DJ and Stephanie Tanner, Kimmy Gibbler and their kids as they all move in together after the death of DJ’s husband. (Photo courtesy of NETFLIX)

On Jan. 17, Netflix excited fans around the world when they announced the dates for when their original shows would premiere this year. Bringing back fan favorites like “Orange is the New Black” this summer and “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt” and “Jessica Jones” throughout the rest of the year, Netflix is set to have a massively successful year. The streaming service is set to release over 30 new original programs this year, after the previous success of shows like “House of Cards” and “Narcos.” The streaming service also just became available in almost every country throughout the world, presumably leading to massive viewership for their upcoming original programs.

“Love”

Feb. 19

“Love” is another foray into television for Judd Apatow, in the upcoming comedy that he created with Paul Rust and Lesley Arfin and is set to produce. The show stars Gillian Jacobs from Community and producer/creator Rust and will be a look at dating and relationships through the perspectives of the two main characters.

“Fuller House”

Feb. 26

With the entirety of the “Full House” cast (with the exception of the Olsen Twins) returning, the “Full House” spinoff follows D.J. Tanner and her children, as she moves in with her sister Stephanie and best friend Kimmy Gibbler after the death of her husband. Fans who have been waiting for years have told hold out until Feb. 26 to see their favorite family back together again.

Starring and developed by Will Arnett, “Flaked” is about a self-help guru named Chip, and will be released on March 11. (Photo courtesy of NETFLIX)

“Flaked”

March 11

Fans of “Arrested Development,” rejoice. Co-produced by “Arrested Development” creator Mitch Hurwitz and starring Will Arnett, “Flaked” is a show about a California guy (Arnett) whose carefully constructed image starts to fall apart when he falls for his best friend’s girlfriend, played by Ruth Kearney.

“Marseilles”

May 5

A French political drama starring acclaimed French actor Gerard Depardieu as the long-time mayor of Marseille hoping to close one last deal before he leaves office. Depardieu plays Robert Taro, who has to come face-to-face with his former protege in the next upcoming election. The show is the first French original production for Netflix, and fans are already dubbing it the “French House of Cards.”

“Stranger Things”

July 15

Other than the most talked about shows, Netflix announced that Winona Ryder is sort of trying to reach millennial audiences with “Stranger Things,” a drama about a missing boy in Indiana that leads to much bigger mysteries. The eight-episode series is set in the 1980s and premieres this summer.

“The Get Down”

Aug. 12

Music enthusiasts and Baz Lurhmann fans (he’s the guy who created “Romeo + Juliet” and wrote the screenplay for “The Great Gatsby”) have to wait until Aug. 12 for the first six episodes of his “The Get Down,” a music-infused drama about 1970s New York. Knowing Lurhmann’s style it will be the perfect show for those hot and dreamy August nights.