Cali jammers prove Rooney rocks

A truly diverse blend of flannel, sequins, hoodies and cross trainers infiltrated Lincoln Hall on Thursday, Feb. 10 to see West Coast rockers Rooney. The headliners took the stage to deliver their contemporary Cali brand of 1960s British Invasion rock, leaving the well-represented crowd with all smiles.Once openers The Chapin Sisters and Eisley wrapped up their girl-powered sets, iPhones and long-lensed cameras materialized overhead as Rooney launched the Chicago leg of their “Not In My House” tour, promoting their latest single of the same name as well as their 2010 album, “Eureka.”

Frontman Robert Schwartzman and co. paddled through their catchy pop hooks intertwined with jam-band-flavored verses with just the right proportion of ease, enthusiasm, professionalism and playfulness.

Schwartzman, sporting his signature raggedy bowl cut, was carefree and comfortable, effortlessly on pitch as he swayed around with guitar in tow. The audience motionlessly soaked in the first couple songs through their respective technological devices before giving the happy, hardworking California boys the head-bobbing the modern Monkees-style music deserved.

The early, and arguably most well-loved, single, “I’m Shakin’,” reminded the audience what they’d been standing around for. The height of crowd body-grooving came mid-set with another early track, “If It Were Up To Me.” The old favorite shot the show’s bar up high, but Rooney kept the venue’s populace in its grips.

The evening’s highlight was a rotating solo segment about halfway into the show. Each member proved himself worthy, audition-style, of performing for a paying audience. Lead guitarist and Rooney’s resident pretty boy, Taylor Locke, shone with seriously surprisingly string and finger work.

The night was closed with the well-received encore song, “Not In My House,” of course. The crowd was satisfied, the band, humbled. By putting the quality of music atop Rooney’s priority list, the band’s stage presence and entertainment value came attached. There was nothing showy (besides Locke’s artfully halfway unbuttoned shirt) about the concert, but good, honest, innocent tunes don’t need it.