SGA: Pro-Trump chalking, upcoming elections

Student Government Association met Thursday, April 7, to discuss topics including the recent chalking on campus and the upcoming application and election process for SGA positions.

Guest Speakers

• Guest speaker Bob Janis, vice president for Facility Operations: Janis came to explain the different components of the Facility Operations group, from sustainability to Vinny Van, before opening the floor for a conversation. “All questions are good questions. You will always get an answer to your questions from me,” he said.
  • Janis started working at DePaul almost 42 years ago as a custodian in the Vincentian residence. When he started working here, the combined Loop and Lincoln Park campuses took up less than one million square feet. Currently, the combined size is closer to five million square feet. “I am happy and privileged to say that every new building or major renovation that has been done since 1982 has been done by my group,” Janis said.
  • Arena: Janis provided an update on the new event center, the Blue Demon arena that has been under construction for about three-and-a-half months. The underground structures and foundation are in place for the arena that will seat just under 10,500 people. “One cool feature will be what we call the Demon Deck, the student section which will be elevated,” Janis said.
  • Janis said the new music school should be completed in 2018. He discussed some detailed challenges in building a music school, such as taking into account acoustics.
  • “The quad,” Janis said, when Senator for First Year Students Andrew Willet asked Janis which part of campus he most enjoyed watching transform over the years. “It really changed the face of campus here and just provided that great space to make DePaul really feel like a campus.”
  • He also answered questions from Treasurer Damien Wille, Senator for the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Ben Bui, and EVP for Academic Affairs Kristina Pouliot.

New Business

• SGA recognized the resignation letter of Chris Witting from his position as the Senator for Graduate Students.

President’s Report

• Trump chalking: President Vanessa Cadavillo addressed the chalking around the Student Center that occurred earlier in the week. “In the midst of the intense political season we’re in right now, it’s important to respect other’s opinions…I think we need to take into consideration the way we share our opinions,” she said.
  • The final meet and greet of the year with Father Holtschneider will be held on May 6. Applications are approved on a first come, first serve basis, and only eight students can attend. Cadavillo encouraged senators to have constituents apply as soon as possible.

Vice President’s Report

• MAP advocacy: Vice President Ric Popp highlighted the upcoming MAP Advocacy Days on April 11 in the Loop and April 14 in Lincoln Park. SGA will travel to Springfield, Illinois on April 20 for a MAP Lobby Day.

Elections Operations Board Chair Report

• Upcoming elections: Kristina Pouliot reported that applications for SGA positions open on Monday, April 11 at 9 a.m. on OrgSync. Applications and signatures (most positions require 100 student signatures) are due Monday, May 9 by 5 pm to the Office of Student Involvement. Voting opens on Monday, May 16 at 9 a.m. and closes on Friday, May 20 at 12 p.m.