Chico’s heartbreak in good spirits

“Ladies and gentleman, it has been the honor and gift of my life to been able to run for mayor of Chicago,” said mayoral candidate Gery Chico as he gave his concession speech after losing the election to Rahm Emanuel. At Chico’s campaign party at The Westin hotel in River North, his supporters and staff seemed very confident that the polls would be in favor of him.

“There were not that many obstacles that he faced because he had a positive attitude and is very experienced,” said Vicky Arteaga, longtime family-friend of the candidate.

Prior to hearing the election results, Chico’s press secretary said that they are not “on edge” about the outcome, and that if all goes well, it would turn into a run-off.

Unfortunately for the Chico camp, the race did not turn into a runoff with Emanuel sweeping the polls with a reported 55 percent of votes, and Chico earning only 24 percent.

Upon hearing the news of the loss, Chico’s room of supporters applauded with pride as he came on stage to address the results of the election. In good spirits, Chico said that he is going to pledge his full support to help Emanuel as mayor, and is very grateful to all of his supporters.

“Thank you all from the bottom of my heart,” Chico said in closing to all of his supporters.

Although Chico seemed to be in good spirits after learning the turn out of the elections, some of his supporters were left heartbroken.

“He gave it all he had, he’s always set his goals high, he’s a Chicago person,” said the candidate’s younger brother, Cory Chico. “He was born here, it’s in his blood. All the work he’s done for Chicago-public schools, working for Mayor Daley, he deserved it.”

Through the sadness, Chico’s supporters and staff remained proud of him in the end, as they continued to celebrate the journey with drinks and music.

“He worked harder than anyone else,” said DePaul Alum and Chico press secretary Brooke Anderson. “At the end of the day, he always had the city’s best interest at heart.