Tickets to spare, FEST still delivers

Two years ago, DePaul’s FEST concert sold out in a record 48 hours for headliners Chromeo and Wiz Khalifa. This year, FEST tickets were sold well after ticket sales were opened, and tickets were available on the day of the concert: raising questions about students’ enthusiasm to an annual DePaul institution, and potential frustration toward headliners Diplo, Minus the Bear and Yelawolf.

Senior Joe Kosin, FEST’s coordinator for DePaul Activities Board (DAB), started planning for this year’s concert last July. DAB chose Diplo as the main act based on results from the FEST student survey, which had a record amount (2,500) of responses.

“Diplo was by far the largest vote getter in the After Hours category, and when you compared his number of votes to those in the headliner category, he got as many as the top three,” said Kosin. “We made offers, and we were getting down to the fifth and sixth options on the survey for headliners, and started comparing the votes that they got to what Diplo got.”

The top three vote-getters from the survey were Of Monsters and Men, ASAP Rocky, and Big Sean, all of which were touring internationally or had prior commitments.

“Past years, we’ve stuck with hip hop, and this year we went with EDM, Minus the Bear