Letter to the editor: Ensure patient safety in hospitals

Editor’s note: Kim Anne is an associate professor at DePaul’s School of Nursing.

This week is National Patient Safety Awareness Week. I’d like to report that hospitals are safer than last year. And in some areas, hospitals have improved.  However, the overall safety of patients remains very concerning. As I reported last year in the Huffington Post, 1.5 million medication errors occur every year in US hospitals. This adds up to billions of dollars in additional patient care. There are still over 50,000 deaths a year in the United States that are related to adverse events, or more commonly known as errors.

These statistics are very scary and our first response may be to avoid hospitals.  However, hospitals can also save our lives.  So to help everyone stay safe I am including, at the end of this column, a checklist of 8 ways that you can make sure that you are the safest when in the hospital.

Recently, my mother was hospitalized at St. Joseph Medical Center for a minor health issue.  Luckily she was only there overnight.  Since I am a quality and safety expert, I felt like a spy while visiting her.  The medical center lived up to all my standards and far exceeded them. There was a very clean, pleasant inviting environment with all the safety alerts needed for nurses and patients. Fall prevention signs and nurse call lights in the restroom were identified clearly, and most importantly the nurse was very compassionate and explained every part of vital signs and medications.  And from a worried family member’s perspective I was able to get all the information I needed to help make sure my mother was getting the best care possible. I drove in to see my mom on January 24th the night of the horrific snowstorm that resulted in the closure of I-94 and a horrible pile up of semis and automobiles.

I drove 90 miles for over six hours in a white-out, going five to 10 mph most of the time on the Indiana Toll Road and witnessing a plow truck drive off the road directly in front of me.  I wasn’t sure I’d make it to the hospital alive.  Once I arrived, after visiting hours, I was welcomed by the nurse, given a sandwich and tea and a very comfortable fold out couch.  I didn’t dare go back out into the storm.  I settled in and watched TV with my mom and the next day I took her home.  The ultimate test of a good hospital is more than just taking care of patients; it’s also recognizing the care of the larger patient world.  The patient and family focused care at St. Joseph Medical Center did that very well.

So, for your own safety and well-being, here are a few of the ways to keep yourself or your family safe and ensure quality health care:

1. Research your provider and hospital by searching for the hospital report card on your state department of public health website.
2. Make sure your doctor or nurse is licensed and has no reprimands.
3. Hospitals that are Magnet certified are generally much better. 
4. Have a friend or family go with you while you are getting care.
5. Bring all your medical records and medications along on each visit.
6. Insist on each provider washing their hands before they interact with you.
7. Ask questions when you are confused or unsure.
8. Make sure you know the plan of care at each step.