Filed under News

Chicago startup aims to pay apartment seekers, build community

Rentgrata is a Chicago based startup that pays renters when they sign their lease (Apple App Store)

Looking for an apartment isn’t always the most glamorous task, especially for college students. Rentgrata is a new service aimed to ease that process and get apartment seekers paid for signing their lease.

The Chicago-based company, incorporated in October 2016, is an iOS app and web-based platform that allows apartment seekers to search for available apartments and chat with current residents of the apartment communities that interest them. If the apartment seeker and the resident of the apartment community chat on Rentgrata and then the apartment seeker signs a lease, both parties split referral bonus that’s paid out by the property manager.

“It’s a social sharing economy take on the whole apartment search process because there is that monetary benefit that’s split between our two users,” CEO Ben Margolit said. “We’re giving them the ability to really transform the way they think about their apartment lease not just as money going out the door every month, but think of it as somewhat of an asset, a way for them to generate a little bit of side hustle income.”

Aside from trying to make the apartment searching process more enjoyable, Rentgrata also aims to build a community feeling in apartment buildings. This community feeling is something that COO Sam McArtor said makes users want to join Rentgrata.

“That incentive to sign up for Rentgrata is there not only because you can make a little bit of money on the side, but also because people like giving feedback,” McArtor said. “It’s a really great way to build community at a property because if you are moving into a building and you’ve had a chance to talk to someone on Rentgrata, you might already have an acquaintance at that building.”

Rentgrata users sign up through Facebook. This process involves the user submitting their address alongside their likes and interests. From that point, the apartment seeker can browse through apartments and once they find a place of interest they will see a list of current available residents. The residents are organized in the order of Facebook connections while everyone else is sorted on the basis of likes and interests.

“The platform makes it easier to connect with someone whether they’re your current friend, a Facebook connection, or another Rentgrata user who’s signed up as a resident of the building,” McArtor said. “We wanted to make the process of signing up to be a resident at a building straightforward because we want the experience to be simple without any major hurdles.”

Left to right: CFO Zach Sloan, COO Sam McArtor, CEO Ben Margolit. (Photo courtesy of Sam McArtor)

Rentgrata’s third co-founder and CFO is Zach Sloan. The platform’s first hire came in September 2017 when Max Bryan was brought on board to be the Technology Strategist and Developer. In January, Built in Chicago, an online community for tech companies and startups, named Rentgrata to its Top 50 Startups to Watch list in 2018.

However, there are still more goals — such as nationwide expansion, signing on to more properties, and spreading brand awareness — that the group wants to achieve.  

“Most property managers have these referral programs in place,” Margolit said. “There just wasn’t an effective way for them to get as much visibility and much use as they would like, so giving the current resident a passive way to more frequently and more easily utilize those programs is really what we’re offering.”

Carley Ross, a Rentgrata user who referred her building to another user, mentioned that Rentgrata provides insider information that some apartment finding services lack.

“I would 100 percent recommend the app to students and young adults,” Ross said. “The app is easy to use and residents will give you the ‘scoop’ on the building’s surrounding area, amenities, and apartment units. The leasing office was able to provide some great information about the area, but nothing as candid as what Rentgrata can provide.”

Most of the buildings that Rentgrata works with are in Chicago, but they’re starting to sign with properties outside of the Windy City in markets such as St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. Rentgrata also recently brought on student housing properties at both Texas A&M and Arizona State.

9 Responses to “Chicago startup aims to pay apartment seekers, build community”

1. Robert Jason on July 25th, 2018 6:50 pm

My names are Robert Jason want to testify about this great love spell caster that helped me bring back my ex wife. My ex wife and i where having a misunderstanding which led to our breakup though i went to beg her several times to please forgive and accept me back because i know i offended her but each time i went i always feel more deeply in pain and agony because she always walk out on me and would not want to listen to what i have to tell and i felt so empty inside me, my loneliness became worst, until this faithful day i was browsing through the internet i saw a testimony on the internet testifying of Dr Raypower good work, i contacted him which he assured me within 48 hours for an instant result. Just same 48 hours as he promised my wife now came back home begging for forgiveness to love and cherish her and the kids forever, am so happy and thankful to Dr Raypower,,, My wife is madly in love with me again. If there is any body Out there who is in Difficulties and need help should kindly Contact Dr. Raypower below

Email: urgentspellcast@gmail.com

Call or WhatsApp: +1 (424) 330-8109

2. Leslie Noel on August 4th, 2018 11:31 am

Exactly six months ago today I sent this to Dr. Wakina via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com;
    “Hello Dr. Wakina
    I am writing to see if you can help me reconcile with my partner. We both love each other very much but we have had to face many obstacles. Though I am stronger mentally and emotionally and he is and he often runs from problems and ends the relationship then later regrets his decision once he has calmed down.
    I have been to counseling, worked on myself, and I’m very spiritual. I have made mistakes, learned from them and want to be a better woman for him. Both our hearts are broken being apart, we have both tried to see other people but we realize no one else measures up.
    I love him very much. Can you help us to forgive our pasts and reconcile and have a stronger relationship? His pride and ego get in the way, he is very stubborn and worries what people will think if we get back together.
    Please help”
    My utmost effort payed off and we are happier together after the goodwill spell from Dr. Wakina

3. clouds on August 7th, 2018 7:19 am

HOW TO ENLARGE YOUR PENIS WITH DR.COVENANT PENIS ENLARGEMENT CREAM
    Hello everyone am cliff, From texas USA , i am here to give my testimony about a spell caster called Dr Covenant, I was heartbroken because i had very small penis, not big enough to satisfy a woman, i have been in so many relationship, but cut off because of my situation, i have used so many product which doctors prescribe for me, but none could offer me the help i searched for. i saw some few comments on the internet about this specialist called Dr Covenant and decided to email him on his email i saw on the internet,(Covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com) so I decided to give his herbal product a try. i emailed him and he got back to me, he gave me some comforting words with his herbal pills for Penis Enlargement, Within 3 week of it, i began to feel the enlargement of my penis, ” and now it just 4 weeks of using his products my penis is about 9 inches longer, and i had to settle out with my Ex girlfriend Jane, i was surprised when she said that she is satisfied with my sex and i have got a large penis.
    Am so happy, thanks to Dr Covenant. If you need his help on his email via (Covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com) Thanks or call him on his mobile +2349057353987

RESULTS AFTER CASTING OUR PENIS ENLARGEMENT SPELL;
    Permanent penis enlargement
    Thick penis
    Bigger penis head
    Improved force and intensity
    Boosted semen quantity
    Effective erections
    Cures and prevents impotence
    Have multiple orgasms
    Ends Early ejaculation
    Increased stamina
    Best regard

4. Doris Carter on August 7th, 2018 10:25 am

Healing from HIV-AIDS, i never though dr.camala who could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but i couldn’t find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend alot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i come across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of these great powerful healing spell doctor, sometime i really wonder why people called him Papa camala, i never knew it was alll because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so i quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and he said a thing i will never forget that anyone who contacted him is ! always getting his or her healing in just 6 hours after doing all he ask you, so i was amazed all the time i heard that from him, so i did all things only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i will to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing dr.camala gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too at: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com or WhatsApp him +2349055637784 thank you sir for healing me from HIV, i am Doris Carter.

5. Ellery Adrian on August 10th, 2018 8:57 am

I started seeking for help when I was desperate to see the good in my life because I was blinded by deception, expecting loyalty from a man who can’t be honest with himself. For 2 years’ happiness seems overrated while depression and anxiety took over my life.
    One of the hardest thing I did was not not moving on because I trust my marriage will work again someday.
    During the search to regain my sight and improve my marriage, I came across this email dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com owned by Dr.Wakina love spell master. Immediately after a successful love spell was cast, my life was given a meaning, my husband changed his attitudes and started focusing on me and the family. He became my everything. We became truthful to ourselves.
    I appreciate the time and effort he (Dr. Wakina) put into giving our lives a meaning.

6. Raphael on August 17th, 2018 7:55 am

Not much to say concerning Dr. Wakina, we all know Dr. Wakina love spell is capable of resurrecting a dead-end relationship. This is just a simply thank you for bringing back my ex-wife after three years and four months of ongoing feud. His mysterious spell worked as testified by people he has helped, he saved my married just as promised. I will conclude by saying with Dr. spell you don’t need to fight anymore or go through pains just to save your marriage. His contact email is (dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com)

7. Michelle Armstrong on August 20th, 2018 4:20 pm

I cannot believe this… MY EX HUSBAND IS BACK TO ME!!!
    My name is Michelle. This is a story of Doctor Odunga who brought my ex husband back to me in 3 days of contact. He told me me he would do it but i didn’t believe him but decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise, my ex husband came home and started playing with the kids and gave me a kiss on my cheek, knelt down on his knees and begged me for leaving without a goodbye. I heard he had woman he was seeing before he left me and i was devastated which made me seek help in a spell caster such as Doctor Odunga. I also met this man through a testimony about him and i contacted his email at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com and when i explained things to him, he told me not to worry. I am very happy today that my husband who left me for over 2 years, came back home. I asked him what about the other woman and he said that was his past and nothing will ever make him leave again. I am thankful to Doctor Odunga. Contact him to help you now at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com

8. clouds on August 21st, 2018 2:09 am

My name is Heidi Ellaine, I lives in United States, my Email [covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com] help me thank DR. covenant who helped cured me from HERPES SIMPLEX in just one (1) week. I got
    to know him from a friend who he helped, at first I doubt if his herbal
    product would work until my friend put her car at stake that if it doesn’t
    work she would give me her car. After which I decided to try, to God be the
    glory am now a living testimony, all thanks to DR. covenant, if not for him I would
    not have been healed so easily.. You can reach him via
    covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com or call/whatsapp at +2349057353987, you can also
    contact him on cure on……
    1. GONORREA
    2. SYPHILIS
    3. ASTHMA
    4. STROKE
    5. DIABETES MELLITUS
    6. SIMPLEX HERPES
    7. RINGING EAR
    8.LOW SPERM COUNT
    9.SICKLE CELL
    10.HIV/AIDS
    11.CANCER

9. Darryl Duncan on August 27th, 2018 2:06 pm

Hello everyone, I must start by saying that I didn’t go into marriage with expectation that it will fail after 8 years. I and my spouse where not compassionate to ourselves. Trying to work out my marriage was self-defeating, we don’t really know why we no longer find ourselves attractive anymore. All we secretly thought was divorce, we couldn’t agree or communicate anymore, it was emotionally difficult moments when we face each other in the bedroom.
    I know that a phycologist might not be able to help me go through divorce because it has never worked for me. Divorcing could traumatize our kids, I can’t let them be emotionally crippled.
    I remember my grandmother once told me that not issues can be resolved physically, I should try solving some issues spiritually through a well-known spiritual doctor.
    I can provide evidence that my life and marriage got more better and interesting with so much love and fulfilled promises after Dr. Wakina lighted up our fire with a magnificent love spell with the aid of dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com.
    The spell work I never regarded rewrote my story. I’m touched beyond words, thanks Dr. Wakina.