Filed under News

Sex workers push back against panel on pornography

Current and former sex workers and supporters of the profession stand outside the Lincoln Park Student Center in protest on Wednesday of XXX: Love and Life in a Post-Porn World.

Laycie Dressler | The DePaulia

Laycie Dressler | The DePaulia

Laycie Dressler | The DePaulia

Tensions erupted during a panel on the ethics of pornography on Wednesday.

As part of their year-long series entitled, “The Year of Filth,” the DePaul Humanities Center hosted “XXX: Love and Life in a Post-Porn World.” The purpose of the panel was to discuss the sexist and racist ideolgies of the pornograhy industry in the United States, according to the event’s official page.

The panel featured three guest speakers, professor Rebecca Whisnant of the University of Dayton and co-editor of Not for Sale: Feminists Resisting Prostitution and Pornography, Meghan Murphy, the founder and editor of Feminist Current and professor Robert Jensen of the University of Texas at Austin and author of Getting Off: Pornography and the End of Masculinity.

The event was protested by a number of sex workers and supporters of the profession, who felt that the event was crafted to shame those who partake in sex work. Sex work is defined as the provision of sexual services for money or goods, according to the World Health Association.

“It’s anything that is selling a sexual fantasy,” said a protester and former sex worker who requested to remain anonymous. “While there are legal definitions, really what it comes down to is between the client and the worker, and what experience they’re wanting.”

Protesters stood outside of the Lincoln Park Student Center prior to the event, holding signs and red umbrellas, the international symbol of sex workers.

“I think any industry is going to reflect the culture that it’s within, and capitalism exploits all people and labor,” said Codi Schei, a co-founder of We Are Dancers America and board member of Sex Worker Outreach Project (SWOP) Chicago.  “So I don’t think sex work is different, other than criminalization, which also increases stigma and violence.”

Protesters highlighted the economic incentive to participate in sex work, emphasizing that underrepresented communities make up a large part of the sex industry.

“The reason why sex work exists in the modern age the way that it does is because of capitalism,” the anonymous protester said.  “A big reason for the stigma is that a lot of people don’t want to admit the way for many marginalized groups, the way for many women, the way for many trans folk, for people of color, to have any economic stability of indepence is through sex work.”

The protesters ultimately viewed the panel, holding signs that read “Listen To Sex Workers” and “Sex Work Is Work,” among other mantras.

The panel was preceded by an address from  H. Peter Steeves, Director of the DePaul Humanities Center. Steeves addressed the controversy surrounding the event, affirming that the panel was not meant to degrade sex workers.

“I want to make it clear that the spirit of this event is not to put down, stigmatize or harm in any way the women who are a part of these various capitalist industries,” Steeves said. “We will not stand for an ethos that either attacks women or condescends them tonight with tropes of rescuing them against their will.”

Following Steeves’ introduction, Whisnant took to the stage to discuss the deeper  reasoning behind feminist critiques of pornography.

“Indeed pornography is offensive. It’s offensive to me, it should be offensive to anyone with a conscience,” Whisnant said. “It’s important to understand that feminists object to pornography not because its offensive, but because it’s harmful.”

Whisnant went on to state that pornography is harmful to both men and women, saying that it creates a culture of subordination of women.

Whisnant’s speech was punctuated with audible comments and laughter from the protesters, causing many audience members to request for them to be quiet.

Murphy expanded on this point during her speech, rejecting the idea that pornography is a harmless tool of fantasy.

“Pornography is far from just words and thoughts in any case,” Murphy said. “It is literal depictions of sexual abuse, of rape, of humiliation, alongside misogynistic and racist words so explicit and so commonly used in porn it’s almost unbelievable.”

Murphy is a controversial figure in feminist circles for her comments on transgender people, likening transgender identity to a “trend”. Murphy was recently banned from Twitter after multiple suspensions for posting incendiary comments against the transgender community, according to Yahoo.

“Steeves knowingly booked someone banned from Twitter for hate speech,” the anonymous protester said following the event. “He is not someone who should be allowed to teach to or about marginalized communities, including women.”

Jensen caused an uproar from protesters after referencing nofap.com, an online forum designed to support men who want to avoid pornography and masturbation.

Protesters accused both the website and Jensen of supporting incels, or involuntary celibates, an online subculture of  men who state they cannot find a romantic or sexual partner, despite their self-perceived attractiveness. Incels are are included in Southern Poverty Law Center’s list of hate groups.

Jensen was referred to as an incel by several of the protesters throughout the remainder of the evening, much to the anger of audience members in support of the panel.

Following the speakers, the panel opened a Q&A, in which several of the protests criticized both the panel and the speakers.

One audience member in support of the event addressed the protesters, remarking that she has extensively studied sex work. One proteser countered her statement, remarking “I live sex work.”

The continued loud objections from protesters ultimately agitated much of the audience, leading to a chaotic environment of shouting and hostility between the opposing viewpoints.

The anonymous protester later remarked that they would be attempting to file a complaint against the university and the organizers of the event after an audience member repeatedly took pictures of her without her consent.

“I understand that it was a public event but it was on university property  so they could have  actually helped,” they said. “Instead, I now have fear that [the audience member] will post my photo and try to dox me.”

While the panel was more tumultuous than was originally intended, it signifies that discussions surrounding pornogprahy and sexual autonomy will likely not be coming to an end.

“I think there’s a lot of risk and danger and violence and problems within pornography, that are also pervasive in other parts of our society,” Schei said. “Until we learn to support and listen and respect sex workers, that’s not going to be fully addressed.”

Additional reporting by Laycie Dressler.

10 Responses to “Sex workers push back against panel on pornography”

1. Susan Davis on February 19th, 2019 11:27 pm

i am so sorry that sex workers in chicago were exposed the hateful vitriol of meghan murphy. she has engaged in this kind of hate for over a decade and in vancouver bc we know her well. her total complacency for the harm and violence she causes by spreading her hate makes her anything BUT feminist.

it must be nice to be a privileged white woman meghan, you have your degree, you have your “contributors”. must be nice to make a living on the back of sex workers…flying around, staying in fancy hotels….making money….

it makes me sick to think of people like you who choose to ignore the voices of sex working people for your own gain.

SHAME!!!!!!!

2. ann earnis on February 24th, 2019 11:02 pm

HOW I GOT MY HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF PRIEST WISDOM CONTACT ON WHATSAPP NUMBER +2348124644470

This is my testimony about the good work of priest wisdom who help me…. I’m ann Earnis from norht carolina USA. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to, by this world best spell caster that brought back my husband who left me out for past 3 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told me have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to their problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is supernaturalspell1@gmail.com or directly on whasapp +2348124644470 …..

3. ann earnis on February 24th, 2019 11:02 pm

.

.

///////////…

4. faith micheal on March 2nd, 2019 2:18 am

This is my testimony about the good work of Dr Abaka who help me…. I’m faith micheal from usa. And am sorry for putting this on net but i will have to by this world top spell caster that brought back my husband which left me out for past 2 years, i eventually met this man on a blog site posting by one of is client for help, i explained everything to him and he told me about a spell caster that he had heard about and he gave me an email address to write to the spell caster to tell him my problems. In just 2 days, my husband was back to me. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere spell caster, sir all you told have come to pass and thank you sir. Please i want to tell everyone who is looking for any solution to problem, i advice you to kindly consult this spell caster, he is real,he is powerful and whatever the spell caster tell is what will happen, because all what the spell caster told me came to pass. You can kindly contact him on: his email address is drabakaspelltemple@gmail.com or directly on whasapp +2349063230051.

5. Cindy on March 12th, 2019 2:52 am

My husband and I have been married for over 10 years. We met when I was 18 and he was 21. We’ve been through a lot emotionally together. There were several HUGE fights and painful situations in our marriage, but we always seemed to come out stronger on the other side. Out of the blue my husband just sprung the divorce talk on me, I was totally depressed until I found Dr.Todd website online and i ordered for a Love spell. You won’t believe my husband called me at the exact time this spell caster finished his spell work in 24hours. I was totally amazed! He is wonderful and his spells work so fast. His contact: manifestspellcast@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +27613087679

6. ahad on March 14th, 2019 12:11 pm

I want to make a porn movie

7. Sandra James on March 28th, 2019 5:43 pm

Am very happy to tell everyone to hear my testimony will say. am Sandra James from united state,am a nurse,this story of my love life.I have been married for 4years and on the fifth year of my marriage, another woman had to take my lover away from me and my husband left me and the kids and we have suffered for 2years until i met a post where this man Dr. Udebhulu have helped someone and i decided to give him a try to help me bring my lover back home and believe me i just send my picture to him and that of my husband and after 48hours as he have told me, i saw a car drove into the house and behold it was my husband and he have come to me and the kids and that is why i am happy to make every one of you in similar problems to meet with this powerful man and have your lover back to your self.You can contact him with this email address {shomorikasolutiontemple@yahoo.com or shomorikasolutiontemple@hotmail.com} Thank you Dr Udebhulu. I am sure he will do same to help you

8. Graig Jason on May 3rd, 2019 6:58 am

Hi, I’ve been searching for help on how to get my ex lover back that broke up with me 2 years ago.. I was traumatised by the break up and nearly wanted to commit suicide but i thank God that i got the contact of Lord Zakuza the spiritual father that helped me to get back my ex lover after much searching of help from different places. When i got in touch with Lord Zakuza, i explained everything to him to he gave me his words of encouragement and told me that he was going to prepare a spell for me that will help me get back my ex lover within 48 hours and i believed in his words for i was referred to him by a friend who he helped and right now, my ex lover is back and we are living happily together to get married next month. If you need any assistance whatsoever like getting cured from sickness, getting pregnant E.T.C. Then, I suggest that you get in touch with Lord Zakuza now through his Email ID: doctorzakuzaspelltemple@hotmail.com or WhatsApp him on + 1 (740) 573–9483 for more information. Thank you sir.

9. Paula Edwards on May 3rd, 2019 6:25 pm

I want to thank Dr Osasu a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago i have a serious problem with my husband, to the extend that he left the house, and he started dating another woman and he stayed with the woman, i tried all i can to bring him back, but all my effort was useless until till the day my friend came to my house and i told her every thing that had happened between me and my husband, then she told me of a powerful spell caster who help her when she was in the same problem I then contact Dr Osasu and told him every think and he told me not to worry my self again that my husband will come back to me after he has cast a spell on him,i thought it was a joke, after he had finish casting the spell, he told me that he had just finish casting the spell, to my greatest surprise within that 3 days, my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with his email address [drosasu25@gmail.com or directly on whasapp +2347064365391

10. Camila Fredrick on May 7th, 2019 3:23 pm

Amazing Love Spell To Get Back With your Partner and Fix Your Broken Relationship

My husband broke up with me 3 months ago, and forced me to sign the divorce papers, and i was completely heartbroken. And I could not get back into any shape emotionally. I Thank God for this astonishing and brilliant spell caster that came to my rescue. Wow! This spell caster has helped me so much. Dr Isikolo guaranteed me an urgent 48 hours spell casting, of which i accepted it. Shockingly! this month on the 4TH OF MAY 2019, my husband called me back with lots of apologies after 48 hours which he assured me, and he did everything possible to withdraw the divorce papers which was previously ongoing with the power of this miracle working spell caster.Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, Thank you so so so much Lord for your powerful spells. expressions are not sufficient to say thank you. Email Dr Isikolo Now for Urgent love Spell isikolosolutionhome@gmail.com You can also Whatsapp or viber him on +2348133261196.

• Sex workers push back against panel on pornography

Metro

Lori Lightfoot sworn in as Chicago mayor; vows big reforms

Spring Carnival brightens up DePaul

Metro

COMMENTARY: Chicago will remember Emanuel as he was, not as he wants

Metro

Potential solutions to urban flooding not attainable for communities that need them most

Students break fast and learn about Ramadan at Interfaith Iftar

Metro

Pilsen proposes historic landmark to slow gentrification

Metro

Chicago public health department confirms measles case

Metro

Pregnant Chicago woman slain, baby cut from her womb

Duckworth proposes increased funding for on-campus child care

Metro

Transparency trouble: New database shows police misconduct records for Chicago and beyond