Blue Demon rundown: 10-6-14

Club Football

DePaul club football’s second game in its existence didn’t have a better result than their first match.

The Blue Demons traveled to Oakland University in Rochester, Michigan, where they lost 50-8. DePaul dropped to 0-2, having lost 30-8 against Loyola in their first week.

DePaul’s lone touchdown came late in the fourth quarter. Quarterback Ed Serrano connected with senior wide receiver Devin Miller.

DePaul also had two fumble recoveries on defense and two sacks.  The Blue Demons trailed 31-0 at halftime.

DePaul’s next game is Oct. 11 at the university of Miami of Ohio.

Freshman Myah Reed goes up to spike the ball.  (Photo courtesy of DePaul Athletics)
Freshman Myah Reed goes up to spike the ball. (Photo courtesy of DePaul Athletics)

Volleyball

After hosting two separate series against Creighton and Georgetown, volleyball fell to 3-13 with two losses Friday and Saturday.

Against Creighton, DePaul lost  their Big East home opener 3–1 in sets. The Bluejays held DePaul to a .197 attacking percentage (42-23-109).

DePaul got on the scoreboard in the second set, pulling out a narrow 25-22 set. Junior Callie Huebener had two straight kills and then a service ace from freshman Haley Bueser gave the Blue Demons the set.

The following day, Georgetown swept DePaul, dropping the Blue Demons to 1-4 in the Big East. Junior Colleen Smith had a team-high 23 assists, but Georgetown won the match 25-14, 25-23 and 25-15.

DePaul next travels to Butler Oct. 8.

Women’s Soccer

No. 15 DePaul women’s soccer took their winning streak on the road over the past week and prevailed  with wins over Seton Hall and Villanova.

At Seton Hall, DePaul (11-0-2, 3-0-1 Big East) prevailed in the final minutes with a narrow 1–0 victor Oct. 2. Senior Amber Paul hit the game-winning goal with a free-kick in the 85th minute. The goal was Paul’s fourth on the season.

Against Villanova, DePaul earned  a 2-1 win with both goals coming in the first half. Paul again hit a goal after heading a cross from teammate Nina Kodros in the 24th minute. Rachel Pitman scored nine minutes later with a penalty kick.

DePaul is one of four remaining undefeated teams in the country.

Men’s Soccer

In their first Big East road game of the season, DePaul men’s soccer suffered a 4-0 blowout at Villanova.

All four Villanova goals were scored in the first half Saturday as the Blue Demons fell to  4-5-2 on the season. DePaul was outshot 16–2 at halftime.

“We’re capable of being ready at the start of a Big East road game, but we weren’t today,” DePaul head coach Craig Blazer said in a news release. “We didn’t play well, and it’s a team effort.”

Earlier in the week, DePaul and crosstown rival Loyola played to a stalement Oct.2.  The Blue Demons were again outshot, this time 17–9. However, junior goalkeeper came up with six saves to keep the Ramblers scoreless.

“There were a couple stretches in the game where we looked really good,” Blazer said. “We were able to connect two, three, four passes and we just weren’t able to get a fantastic look.”

DePaul returns Oct. 11 at noon against Georgetown at Wish Field.