Blue Demon rundown: 11-10-14

Cross country

Cross Country heads to the NCAA Midwest regionals Friday after they wrapped up their regular season at the 2014 Big East Championships in Indianapolis.

The men’s team finished eighth out of the nine teams that were participating with the women also finishing eighth but with the full Big East slate. The highest finisher for the men was senior Eddie McDaniel, who finished 30th overall, followed by freshman Chris Korabik in 45th and fellow freshman Jake Pecorin in 54th.

On the women’s side, sophomore Paige Skorseth finished 55th and right behind her was sophomore Courtney Tedeschi in 56th.

The 2014 cross-country season will come to a close for both teams at the NCAA Midwest regionals in Peoria, Illinois on Nov. 14.

Women’s tennis

Women’s tennis swept the first two days of the Northwestern Invite singles competition this weekend, going 5-0 on Friday and 6-0 on Saturday.

The Blue Demons also went 2-1 in doubles on Saturday, moving their weekend record to 13-1.

Freshmam Patricia Lancranjan posted an impressive wins on Friday, defeating Furman’s Ansley Speaks in two sets, 6-1, 6-0. She repeated the strong performance on Saturday, defeating Princeton’s Alanna Wolff 6-0, 6-4.

Yuliya Shupenia and Ana Vladutu were able to win their doubles match 8-4, while Lancranjan and Rebeca Mitrea was able to defeat their Princeton opponents 8-5 in the single set.

Softball

DePaul softball released their 2015 schedule this week, highlighted by several opponents who made the NCAA tournament last year.

The Blue Demons will open up the season in early February with a trip to the Hawaii Paradise Classic. Their first game will be against Oklahoma, a Women’s College World Series team in 2014. They will be on the road for the first couple of  months, playing in six tournaments as they make their way through their non-conference schedule. This is highlighted by teams such as Wisconsin, Nebraska and Houston who all made the NCAA Tournament in 2014.

They have their home opener on March 18 against North Dakota State before going on the road to start their Big East conference slate against St. John’s and Seton Hall.

DePaul returns home for their first series of the season at Cacciatore Stadium  against Providence on March 28 and 29, before playing more non-conference home games against Illinois State and Louisville.

The Blue Demons host in-state rivals Illinois on April 15 before hosting Chicago rival Loyola the next day. A week later, they will travel to South Bend, Indiana to take on Notre Dame in a rematch of last year’s 4-2 DePaul victory.

DePaul will wrap up their regular season schedule with a three-game home series against Butler on May 2 to 3 before they host the Big East tournament. Just as in 2013, the tournament will take place at the Ballpark at Rosemont.

The Blue Demons return reigning Big East player of the year in senior Mary Connolly, as well as Rookie of the Year Dylan Christensen and Coach of the Year Eugene Lenti, who begins his 34th season with DePaul.