Student Government Association provides updates about new scholarship, celebrations

Audrey Leib

SGA has elections coming up in mid-April. They passed a resolution Marxh 31 to recognize Arabic Heritage Month during April.

At the first Student Government Association (SGA) meeting of the spring quarter, the administration provided updates for the first-generation scholarship, more annual celebrations and Loop student engagement.

SGA has named their scholarship for first-generation students as the “Student Government Association Academic Resource Scholarship.” Final steps still need to be taken to register the scholarship with the proper outlets.

“We are on track to have this start to be distributed by the start of Fall quarter next year,” said SGA Vice President Kevin Holechko.

SGA announced they are recognizing and celebrating Arab American Heritage month in April. The resolution was released on their Instagram.

“In our current society, Arab Americans remain defaced and unsafe due to misconceptions, bigotry, and racism; and throughout history, Arab Americans have contributed significantly to society through their familial values, strong work ethic, dedication to education, and religious diversity,” the resolution states.

“I was asked by the Arab American Action Network to release a proclamation acknowledging Arabic Heritage month,” SGA President Watfae Zayed said .

The Lincoln Park Student Center is celebrating its 20-year anniversary on April 28 from 2 to 8 p.m.  DePaul clubs and organizations will be hosting festivities, including a concert from a DePaul student band. SGA will help with funding limited edition T-shirts. The event will include a birthday cake, balloon animal artist and plushie stuffing.

“We’re working to hopefully make the [Student Center] birthday an annual recurring event,” SGA advisor Courtney James said.

SGA will be gathering feedback about student experience in the Loop and ways to improve student engagement. They will also be pushing out more information about the shuttle pilot program, as they claim that few students know about the service.

“Apparently, it is still not widely known by students,” James said.