Federal laws needed to financially aid undocumented students

Throughout America’s history, millions of people have migrated to this country in hopes for a better future. The United States is known for its opportunities, which are unattainable in most countries. Therefore, many immigrants bring their young children along, who take part in the culture and are raised with the American promises. Once they reach college age, these children face many challenges when it comes to furthering their education.

Laws in the United States make it difficult for these students to have access to financial aid, with only a handful of states proving any sort of support for undocumented immigrants that wish to continue their higher educations. Some states do not even have any aid for these students and even make them pay out-of-state tuition despite their long-term residencies in the area. Currently there is no federal law that mandates undocumented students have access to financial aid, which leaves these individuals at a loss as to what to do for their futures. Many are unable to attend college, or are limited to community schools that do not let them explore their full potential.

This is an issue that affects all Americans and, if solved, could bring the nation to a state of higher efficiency. These students are part of this nation and therefore should be a priority. They wish to better themselves and join the talented workforce America is prepping for the future. With more talented workers, the United States could then have a more profitable economy.

As an immigrant myself, I am driven to finish my higher education in order to have a successful career. I came here as a young child, and was raised on the American belief that with hard work one can better herself. Young illegal immigrants were raised just like I was, and only wish to learn so they can be successful. If America is truly what it stands for, then this type of federal law should be passed to help out these students.

Some states have already taken the initiative and created state laws to assist unauthorized students with their financial aid. Specifically looking at Illinois, the process the state has gone through to help illegal immigrant students has been long and arduous; however, it has been worth it for the futures of these individuals. In 2003, Illinois took a big step by implementing the HB60 bill, which qualifies eligible undocumented students to pay in-state tuition when attending public universities in Illinois

This was a victory for student and eventually led to another accomplishment nine years later with the IL Dream Act legislation in 2011. This was a great advancement for the state and its undocumented immigrants, which led to more students enrolling in colleges in Chicago. These are great advancements for Illinois, which provide more funding to the students that qualify.

These legislations do not mean that funding is easily handed out to any undocumented student, for there are certain requirements that must be met. Students must meet special qualifications such as live with a guardian, attend high school for three years or attain a GED, as well as work towards attaining a permanent residency. With strict rules it makes it more difficult for people to try and cheat the system and get any funding they are technically not supposed to have.

However, many that oppose this possible federal law believe this could be the doom of the nation and cause greater damage to the state of the country. Currently, the United States has a delicate economy that is still in recovery after the recession, making funds for students incredibly low. Thus, funding for illegal immigrant students may not seem reasonable if there is not even adequate funding for legal, American students. Additionally, other opponents believe that the structure of a new federal law would allude to favoritism, a loaded accusation that could cause a divide within the country.

Understandably some of their points are valid concerns. However, they are overshadowed by the benefits that could come with this federal law. In the modern age, more immigrants are taking the lead and bringing America back to the top, by creating businesses and jobs. Therefore, if immigrant students are taught in America, they will be able to use their skills to improve the country and its economy.

The debate over whether to help unauthorized students through the creation of a federal law continues to grow, and desperately needs to be addressed as more time passes. Many state governments have already taken the steps to help these students, which should motivate the federal government to take action. Despite what some people believe may be negative side effects, the benefits this federal law would bring are too great to ignore, and must be put into action.