Chicago goes fashion forward at The Fashion Market

Looking for fashion outside of Michigan Avenue, State Street, and the usual boutiques? The Fashion Market, located on 216 S. Jefferson, holds space for models, fashion designers, photographers and fashion addicts to come and enlighten one another.

Occupied by fashion shows and shopping events, The Fashion Market serves as an outlet for creativity in the fashion industry and entertainment for anyone with an interest in fashion.

Fashion Forward!, a fashion show featuring a variety of designers and models, took place at The Fashion Market on Oct. 20. Intended for youth, young women and middle-aged women, the fashions varied but had remarkable handiwork; the pieces featured intricate work and unique designs.

Designs by E.KayeCollection, Aparna Designs, DiLi Designs, Cobar Collection, Laima Gaudi Designs, Chloe + Isabel, Emages Design, and Alexandra Torissi shoes were displayed by models, while photographers sat at the head of the runway and took shot after shot. Onlookers sat and stood all around the runway, observing, applauding, and admiring the fashions, while using their phones to capture the moments.

A raffle was held also, giving away an ornate gold and black party dress to a random ticket-holder. Meanwhile, the DJ played dance music, such as Kanye West and Two Door Cinema remixes, along with classic ’80s songs accompanied by a heavy bass.

Aside from drawing in citizens with an interest in the fashion industry, Fashion Forward! also gives designers an opportunity to display their pieces to the community, while models wear them on runways and distribute pamphlets and fliers for local shops in Chicago.

One Chicago designer, Wanda Cobar, exhibited her line called “Erupted Love,” which utilized an assortment of colors and materials: red, black, plastic, chiffon and more, paired with corsets and heart-shaped zipper pulls. Emages Design focused on handbags, a must-have for anyone with multiple items to carry. The handbags consisted of fringe, studs, brighter colors, as well as more neutral tones. Articles of clothing included pieces designed specifically for Chicago winters, Sunday church, high school prom, and attending school events, such as a spelling bee.

Fashion Forward! was only one aspect of Chicago’s fashion week, entitled Fashion Focus. Fashion Focus, an annual affair, includes a multitude of events available for fashionistas, designers, and models who wish to show off their skills. Fashion shows, museum exhibits, social events, and plenty of shopping opportunities both at boutiques and vintage establishments draw the attention of stylish Chicagoans and provide chances to become involved in the fashion scene. Millennium Park, Chicago Cultural Center, Plumbers Hall, Supreme Novelty Fabrics, and The Adela Red Studios all provided space for these events.

Although New York City, London, Milan and Paris may have bigger and better names than Chicago in the worldwide fashion industry, Fashion Focus sets Chicago apart from other large cities, and in turn creates an amazing fashion week catering just to the Midwest. Fashion Focus allows for exploration of vogue accessories and creative outfits, without having to fly to a fashion capital. Thanks to Fashion Focus, Chicago’s designers, models, and style pursuers get a taste of high fashion, right here in the Windy City.