Jennifer Rosato Perea named DePaul College of Law dean

Jennifer Rosato
Jennifer Rosato Perea has been selected as DePaul College of Law dean. She will join DePaul July 1, 2015. (Photo courtesy of Northern Illinois University)

Northern Illinois University College of Law dean Jennifer Rosato Perea has been appointed as the DePaul College of Law dean effective July 1, the university announced today.

Rosato Perea will take over for interim dean Bruce Ottley, who has been at the helm since July 2014 after the last permanent dean Gregory Mark stepped down from the position after only three years.

“DePaul is gaining a dynamic and innovative law school administrator with a stellar academic career,” said interim provost David Miller in a press release. “Highly respected by her peers, Jennifer brings extensive administrative experience and a deep understanding of the current challenges faced by law schools and the legal profession.”

Law School enrollment is down nationwide, which presents a difficult challenge for DePaul’s Law School. The college’s enrollment has declined by about 25 percent from 2010 to 2014.

Ottley Law told Crain’s Chicago Business in December 2014 that “the school has been hurt because it dropped in national law school rankings.”

“You get a reputation as a low LSAT school, and it’s hard to dig out of that. The school does not want to hurt its ability to attract students long term,” he said.

Despite some of the challenges she will face, Rosato Perea is excited about the new opportunity.
“I look forward to working with DePaul’s distinguished faculty and dedicated staff, and to contribute to the impressive work that is taking place at the college and university,” she said. “DePaul’s social justice mission and long history with public interest law fit perfectly with my personal and professional values.”

Rosato Perea has been the dean of NIU’s law school since 2009. Before that, she served as associate dean of students at Drexel University and was a faculty member for 14 years at the Brooklyn College of Law in New York.

According to the press release, Rosato Perea is one of the few Latina law school deans in the country and the NIU law school under has been recognized for its diversity, value and public service.