Students and faculty react to the chance of a shooter on campus

Shelby Wheeler

Pulse nightclub, Virginia Tech, Sandy Hook and most recently Las Vegas, played host to a few of the deadliest shootings that have occurred in the United States in the past 10 years.

A mass shooting isn’t always the first thing that pops into a busy college student’s mind, but being aware of a few guidelines could possibly be a matter of life and death.

“I wasn’t fully aware of DePaul’s guidelines,” said sophomore Kennedy Smith. “I naturally assumed that they would have something set in place since mass shootings, unfortunately, have become more common.”

Digital Cinema professors Anuradha Rana and Shayna Conelly both agreed that one’s “instincts” are awoken in violent situations like mass shootings/ an active shooter. Conelly said that even though she had to go through training as a professor, she would act through visceral senses to protect herself  and her  students.

Deadly shootings, like what occurred in Las Vegas in early October, spark conversations that which allows people to educate one another on how to react in violent situations.

DePaul’s Public Safety provides much more protection than just a late-night escort ride around campus. One way the campus security protects students  is by providing  procedures to prepare for a violent incident.

“Through a constant vigilance, DePaul University Public Safety Department strives to maintain a peaceful and safe environment for students, faculty, staff, visitors and neighbors, and to protect university property,” reads the university’s active shooter on campus guidelines.

The rest of the guidelines give simple strategies for  situations where someone threatens you with a gun, knife or any other weapon.

In the event of an active shooter, campus security experts advise people to stay where they are or enter the nearest room with a door. Once in a secure location, lock or barricade the door using whatever is available. Close blinds or curtains and turn out lights.  To reduce vulnerability, they also advise students and faculty  to silence  their cell phones and any other noise-making devices. They then ask students and faculty  to place a sign in the exterior window to identify their  location.

Once the room is secured, one should position himself  out of sight  and behind items that might provide extra protection. Campus security also instructs people to  wait for  a clear message of safety from the authorities, unless a plausible escape route exists.

The tips can help in the event if a violent situation, but they don’t give a way to prevent the  situation said sophomore Blake Bonaparte.  And you can’t. However,  making yourself aware of these guidelines  can make you safer in those situations.

“It really makes me think about the world that we live in,” Bonaparte said. “It’s not far-fetched to think that this could happen at DePaul, not far-fetched at all.”

For more information regarding how to act in the event of an active shooter on campus, read DePaul University’s guidelines for ‘How to respond to threats of iolence on campus’ that can be found on offices.depaul.edu under emergency preparedness on the public safety page.