St. Vincent DeJamz 5-27-14

This week’s DeJamz theme is, admittedly, a little weak. It’s that time of year again, when deadlines are suddenly around the corner and I increase my caffeine consumption by a factor of 10. I’m talking about finals, and I’m sure I’m not the only one for which these next two weeks will be a doozy. So, in light of my hectic schedule this week, I’m going to write about six songs I’ve really been digging lately. Sorry for the lack of creativity.

1. Del the Funkee Homosapien — “Fake as F—” — You know him as the rapper who appears on the Gorillaz song, but Del is also a mainstay of the indie rap scene, and has been since his debut in the early-’90s. This selection, from his superb 2000 album “Both Sides of the Brain,” is one of many doses of his biting critique of lackluster rappers nowadays.

2. John Coltrane and Duke Ellington — “In a Sentimental Mood” — This track definitely sounds like what it feels like, you know? Maybe that doesn’t make sense, but upon listening to it you might understand what I mean. Duke and Trane craft a marvelous melody around a half somber, half hopeful chord progression.

3. Baths — “Aminals” — Baths is an artist who I had heard of some time ago but never really got around to listening to, until recently. He creates music not unlike Animal Collective or Four Tet, heavily relying on samples both digital and organic. The way he weaves these together is the cool part. In “Aminals,” for example, he takes what sounds like a high school poms squad cheer and turns it into a hip- hop-esque chant underneath lush instrumentation.

4. Mac DeMarco — “Chamber of Reflection” — My vote for most surprising artist so far this year, Mac DeMarco is a loveable weirdo who crafts some amazing yet simple rock ‘n roll. Check out his latest album “Salad Days,” for this and more great stuff.

5. Radiohead — “Reckoner” — Radiohead is perfect in every way, so there’s not much to say about this song that you wouldn’t already assume. But you should also check out Ceelo Green and Modest Mouse’s live cover of this song on YouTube, because it’s great.

6. Little Dragon — “Klapp Klapp” — This Swedish band is finally getting the recognition they deserve here in the States thanks to this new album of theirs. It’s a must-listen if you’re looking to expand your musical palette a little, as they combine a wide variety of styles in a very intriguing, catchy way. Also check out their collaborations with Gorillaz and SBTRKT.