Beloved TV shows and films being rebooted for new audiences this year

Reboots, revivals and more are in store this year for fans of a variety of genres.

“The X-Files” will premiere on Jan. 24 and 25 on Fox as a continuation of the series that originally ran from 1993 to 2002. It will add six episodes to the series. Key actors Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny will return as Dana Scully and Fox Mulder respectively, the FBI agents who find evidence of life beyond Earth.

For both excited fans and new viewers, the mini-series’ official website doyoustillbelieve.com offers the first full minute of the premiere. It’s enough to get anyone excited, but also to show the audience the main character, Mulder, and his motivations.

“My name is Fox Mulder. Since my childhood, I’ve been obsessed by controversial global phenomenon,” is Duchovny’s opening line, and it sets the tone for the six episodes. After the two-night premiere, an episode will play every Monday at 9 p.m.

The nostalgia only strengthens with the upcoming sitcom “Fuller House.” It will premiere on Feb. 26 as a Netflix original series. It will serve as a sequel to the “Full House” sitcom that ran from 1987 to 1996.

“I’ll probably watch ‘Fuller House’ just because it’s on Netflix,” sophomore Julie Peacock said.

Like the original show, it is set in San Francisco. The 13 episodes revolve around the life of recently widowed D.J. Tanner-Fuller, a mother of three sons. Her sister Stephanie, her best friend Kimmy and her daughter Ramona move in to help raise the three boys after D.J.’s husband dies.

Many of the same actors will be returning, albeit considerably aged. The three friends Candace Cameron Bure as D.J. Tanner-Fuller, Jodie Sweetin as Stephanie and Andrea Barber as Kimmy Gibbler are all grown up. Favorites like John Stamos as Jesse Katsopolis and Bob Saget as Danny Tanner will also appear in the cast.

Carly Rae Jepsen will perform the classic and memorable intro and outro theme “Everywhere You Look.”

Netflix will be at it again with four 90-minute episodes of “Gilmore Girls” picking up at present-day, eight years after the series ended in 2007. According to TVLine, each of the episodes will represent a different season in their lives — spring, summer, fall and winter, all represented in the drama. A premiere date is unconfirmed.

“I don’t like how it ended — they owe us a better explanation,” junior Alexa Prestigiacomo said, welcoming the new chapters.

Freshman Caleb Soler said that people “might be encouraged to buy Netflix just to watch the reboots.” He thinks that the revivals are happening “to bring back the success” of years past.

Showtime will revive “Twin Peaks” in early 2017, continuing the story 25 years later in the present day.  According to Showtime, “Twin Peaks” follows the inhabitants of a quaint Northwestern town who were stunned after homecoming queen Laura Palmer was murdered.

The local sheriff invites the help of FBI agent Dale Cooper, and as he conducts his investigation, the town’s secrets are gradually exposed. Apparently more reveals are in store for the cult drama’s revival. Kyle MacLachlan will reprise his role as FBI Agent Cooper, and Miguel Ferrer as FBI Agent Albert Rosenfield.

Reboots will make appearances on the big screen as well, following a pattern established in 2015 with revivals such as “Terminator Genisys”, “Mad Max: Fury Road” and Disney’s “Cinderella”.

And it’s impossible to forget the record-smashing seventh episode of “Star Wars,” with new installments in the franchise being released in 2016, 2017 and 2019.

“When it comes to reboots, they try to appeal to everyone — especially like in the new ‘Star Wars.’ It’s just necessary to make it successful,” junior Rey Carpio said.

Looking at this year, in July 2016 the rebooted “Ghostbusters” movie will introduce an all-female cast of Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. Chris Hemsworth will be appearing in the film.

Ahead in 2017, Emma Watson will star as Belle in a live-action revival of “Beauty and the Beast,” another Disney classic. The animated “Beauty and the Beast” from 1991 was the first animated movie to receive a Best Picture Oscar nomination.

“It seems like some of these will just be popular for the nostalgia,” Peacock said.

“Fuller House”

Reboot of “Full House”

Original run 1987-1985

The family-friendly comedy is back, with all the Tanners ready to hug out their problems once again. All the original cast members, with the exception of the Olsen twins who played Michelle Tanner. The new show, which will debut on Netflix on Feb. 26, follows oldest sister DJ Tanner after the death of her husband.

“The X-Files”

Reboot of “The X-Files”

Original run 1993-2002

After nine years of investigating extraterrestrial life, FBI agents Scully and Mulder are back to reprise the show as a miniseries of six episodes.The show will follow the 2008 film “I Want to Believe.” The show will premiere on Fox on Jan. 24, and both David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson will star in all six episodes.

“Ghostbusters”

Reboot of “Ghostbusters”

Original release 1984

A remake of the 1984 classic starring Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Dan Akroyd, the new Ghostbusters has an all-female cast, including Kristen Wiig, Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones. The new film will also star Chris Hemsworth as the receptionist, and will have cameos from Murray and Akroyd. The film will be released July 15.

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”

Spinoff of The “Harry Potter” series

Original run 2001-2011

Set in the same magical world as “Harry Potter,” but on a different continent, “Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them” follows Newt Scamander (Eddie Redmayne), a magizoologist (magical zoologist) as he travels through New York after his collection of magical creatures escapes. The film will be released Nov. 18.