St. Vincent’s DeJamz: anti-Valentine’s Day tunes

(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)
(Graphic by Max Kleiner / The DePaulia)

Valentine’s Day is coming up, and while it reminds people in relationships about the love they feel towards each other, for others, it reminds them of the empty feeling in their cold dead heart.

If you find yourself like me in these early weeks of February, make sure to blast these songs and focus on your anger and hatred for other people when the overwhelming hearts and chocolate emerge.

1. Three Days Grace — “I Hate Everything About You”

It’s hard to be confused about the meaning of this song when you see a title like this. This song is about pure hatred and is not suitable for Valentine’s Day, but it’s perfect for all of us.

2. Green Day — “Platypus”

Is there anything that represents anger better than really fast punk music filled with swears and insults? I didn’t think so. In Green Day’s most anger-filled song not directed at George W. Bush, frontman and guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong sings about how he wouldn’t mind if the subject of the song died.

3. Eminem — “Puke”

You can go ahead and skip over the intro of Eminem puking, instead focus on the anger in Slim Shady’s lyrics. “Encore” is arguably one of Eminem’s weakest albums, but “Puke” stands out among some of his best songs about the hatred sitting in his black heart. The thought of hating someone to the point that you want to vomit may be extreme for some, but for those who can relate to this week’s DeJamz, you’ll understand his sentiment.

4. Radiohead — “Creep”

For when your hatred isn’t directed at the outside world, but rather at yourself, Radiohead’s 1993 lament “Creep,” is perfect.

The lyrics, in which frontman Thom Yorke sings about how he is a creep and a weirdo are sad and make me think about all the things wrong with myself,

It’s nice to get a little self-loathing out from time to time, but overall, it’s more productive to direct the anger in your empty soul towards others.

5. Brand New — “Seventy Times Seven”

There are no lyrics that better sum up the feeling of hating somone than “Have another drink and drive yourself home. I hope there’s ice on all the roads. You can think of me when you forget your seatbelt, and again when your head goes through the windshield.” Jesse Lacey is cold, and so am I.

This is the best song to blast in your car while you’re trying to cover up the fact that you’re crying thinking about how much you hate a former best friend.

6. Limp Bizkit — “Break Stuff”

Do you ever have one of those days where you are angry from the moment you wake up to when you go to sleep? If so, then Limp Bizkit is the band for you.

In the nu-metal band’s classic song, frontman Fred Durst raps about the anger he feels throughout the day and how it builds up to the point where he needs to break things. We’ve all been there, right?