5 releases to watch for on Record Store Day

Record stores across Chicago are planning their Record Store Day celebrations, whether it be by planning live local bands like Bric-A-Brac or meet and greets with iconic music engineers like Reckless Records. Besides a chance to snag some free food and hear some good tunes, Record Store Day is also the prime chance to get Record Store Day exclusives, albums and music projects that may not otherwise be available. The list below includes some of the most limited and noteworthy releases.

“The Man Who Sold the World” – David Bowie Reissue

Not only is this one of the most coveted Record Store Day releases because David Bowie is one of the most influential artists and musicians of the last few decades, but also because of his recent death in January this year. This reissue is special because it is a timely celebration of Bowie and one of his most famous songs “The Man Who Sold the World,” which has been covered by many notable artists like Midge Ure and Nirvana on MTV Unplugged – Cobain even placed it at number 45 on his top 50 albums list before his death in the 90’s. Featuring the original German artwork and a picture disc – instead of the vinyl being a plain color – only 5,000 copies will be available on Record Store Day. It is also one of the three David Bowie releases on Record Store Day.

“Animal Tracks” – The Animals

Even though “Animal Tracks” was the name of the third album released in the United States by The Animals, the Record Store Day release is different, which makes it a gem among British Rock fans. This special edition features “Animal Tracks,” The Animals’ fourth album. Originally released in the UK in 1965, the track listing differs from the U.S. version has never been released in the states until this year. The album features some classic Animals hits such as “How You’ve Changed” – a Chuck Berry cover – and other covers by The Animals. Only three thousand copies of this album will be released, which may make it difficult to find, but a treat for those who do.

Begin to Hope / Regina Spektor

Regina Spektor, a popular singer and songwriter who is also a classically-trained pianist, has been releasing music since 2001. After getting mainstream success by opening for well-known bands like The Strokes and signing with Sire Records in 2004, Spektor gained critical acclaim within the New York music scene as well as nation wide success. This year will mark the 10 year anniversary of her album “Begin to Hope,” her fourth album that went gold. This Record Store Day reissue will include a bonus EP, which has 10 songs in addition to “Baby Jesus,” a previously unreleased track. Another cool aspect of the limited edition release is that it’s pressed on silver vinyl.

ALT-J

I have to admit, I’m a little biased choosing this record simply because it was recorded at Red Rocks Amphitheatre, which is in my home state of Colorado. The album is on two colored vinyl LPs, and includes songs from two of their most popular projects: “An Awesome Wave” and “This Is All Yours.” Comprising 75 minutes worth of music and a concert DVD, there’s only 4,000 copies available, making it an uncommon snag for those lucky enough to grab it.

“Origami” – LUSH

LUSH, a prominent shoegaze band from the ’90s, is also offering a special Record Store Day release. Since the band’s reformation in 2015 after taking nearly a 20-year hiatus, this release is a desirable prize for many ’90s fans. “Origami,” which includes prints of all five albums by Lush, is released on different colored vinyl like silver and pink. There’s also only 2,000 copies available, making it one of the harder to find releases out of the several already difficult to find.