Ray Manzarek, DePaul alum, dies at 74

Ray Manzarek, a musician, film director and producer, writer, past South Side resident, and DePaul University alumnus has recently passed away. Most notable for his keyboard work for the 1970s rock band The Doors, Manzarek died at a German clinic Monday, May 20, from complications with bile duct cancer. He was 74 years old. This has sparked fans, old and new, to appreciate what Manzarek brought to the world of music.

Forming with vocalist Jim Morrison, drummer John Densmore, and guitarist Robby Krieger in 1965, The Doors quickly revolutionized the meaning of a rock band. Drawing great inspiration from Chicago blues, and creating their own sound by adding a psychedelic edge, The Doors had a certainly unique sound. Of any member in the band, Manzarek carried the most weight. The lack of bassist was covered up through his keyboard playing by using Manzarek’s left hand to play a bass line, and his right hand to play melody.

In his early years, Manzarek enjoyed playing music and basketball. Jazz and blues greats were his early inspirations, which include Muddy Waters, John Coltrane and Miles Davis. This bluesy influence can be heard in tracks like “Light My Fire,” “Break On Through (To the Other Side)” and “Roadhouse Blues”.

After studying economics at DePaul University, Manzarek traveled to Los Angeles to attend UCLA for film. This is where he was introduced to fellow film student, Jim Morrison, who quickly became his good friend and frontman for The Doors.

Manzarek never believed that the music they were creating would become so popular. As a modest, educated man, he became very interested in the teachings of Transcendental Meditation. Through lectures given on the topic, he met the drummer and guitarist of The Doors.

“You have to think in that individual moment in time, the Zen moment in time,” said Manzarek in an interview with Billboard magazine in 2006.

Inducted into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame in 1993, The Doors are a symbol of 1960s music. Last year, the 40th anniversary re-release of 1971 album “L.A. Woman” was released.

From all of this experience, Manzarek wanted to document his journey and the legend that the band had created. He has published a memoir titled “Light My Fire: My Life with the Doors,” and two novels titled “The Poet Exile” and “Snake Moon.” “The Poet Exile” explores the conspiracy that Morrison faked his death. His close connection to the subject allowed for a truly emotional story.

Manzarek continued to grow as a musician, collaborating with artists who are shaping modern music. All three living members recorded a track called “Breakin’ a Sweat” with Skrillex for the 2012 “Re:Generation” documentary. He even played keyboards on a “Weird Al” Yankovik song, an artist that older generations rarely understand for his sardonic lyrics and use of sampling.

The man who had a passion for learning and knowledge didn’t ever stop pursuing what he loved. A musician who had a vision and a dream, and who follows through with it, is one that is celebrated.

“We occupy these bodies for 70, 80, 90 years, and it’s so much fun being alive on planet Earth that you want to keep this thing as fresh as you possibly can,” said Manzarek in a 2006 interview with Reuters.