News briefs: 2-3-14

Fr. Holtschneider speaks in D.C. on higher education

Last Tuesday Fr. Holtschneider, the president of DePaul University testified to the Congressional Subcommittee on Higher Education and Workforce training about the importance of higher education and how best to serve low income and first generation students.

“College access and success remains as critical a challenge for our country as it was half a century ago,” Fr. Holtschneider said in his testimony. “Given the increased importance of educational attainment in today’s global knowledge economy and the persistent educational gaps between those from affluent and low-income households, it is perhaps even more of a challenge than it was then.”

Fr. Holtschneider spent most of his time in front of the subcommittee advocating the importance of TRIO programs while admitting they were not perfect. In addition he also spoke about the reauthorization of the higher education act.

“We cannot afford to keep losing talent in the way we have been doing,” Fr. Holtschneider said. “TRIO should continue to be at the heart of our shared commitment to ensure that every student who has the desire and ability to go to college should have the opportunity to do so.”

JPMorgan executive elected to board of trustees

William Kusack, a managing director at JPMorgan Capital Corporation, has been elected to join DePaul’s 45-member board of trustees. Kusack earned his MBA in finance from DePaul’s Kellstadt Graduate School of Business in 1978.

Kusack joined with First Chicago Leasing Corporation in 1975 staying with the company during his time at DePaul. He worked with First Chicago Leasing Corporation to help build the business of investing in tax-orientated equipment leases. First Chicago Leasing Corporation was the predecessor to JPMorgan Capital Corporation.

While at JPMorgan, Kusack has worked his way up through the company. He is currently part of a management team responsible for a portfolio comprised of equipment leases, alternative energy programs and affordable housing projects.

Law School starts third year in practice option

The College of Law started a Third Year in Practice program, known as 3YP, offering the opportunity for students to spend the third year of law school in practice. The 3YP program is a part of the College of Law’s response to the changing landscape of legal education and profession and will be available to students this fall.

“The Third Year in Practice option enhances the College of Law’s robust experiential learning curriculum,” Law School Dean Gregory Mark said. “The primary goal of the program is to provide students with opportunities to prepare better for the realities of the legal profession and to assist them in developing the fundamental lawyering skills that today’s employers demand.”