Fall into fun this October

leaf2
(Graphics by Jacqueline Lin / The DePaulia)

October is here! Looking for something fun to do this fall? We got you covered.

Pumpkin Patches in Chicago parks

Throughout the month Chicago Public Parks are hosting family friendly pumpkin patches. Attendees get to pick real pumpkins for the autumn season. In most events admission is free, and attractions such as games and hayrides cost $1 to $3. Notable parks participating include Skinner Park on Oct. 15 and Horner Park on Oct. 22. A full list of participating parks and other park activities can be found on the Chicago Park District’s events website.

leaf4Disturbia: Screams
in the Park

Sept. 30 – Nov. 5

Get into the Halloween spirit with the frightening haunted attraction “Disturbia: Screams in the Park.” Located at MC Financial Park in Rosemont, Disturbia features 35 rooms and 20,000 square feet of fear inducing spectacles. New attractions include Sewers of the Underworld and the Dark Swamp, as well as fan favorites such as the House of Victoria and Cabin in the Woods. A redesigned exit ensures visitors will leave terrified. General admission – ranging from $25 to $30 – is rather low compared to many of the city’s most extravagant haunted houses, giving goers just another reason to check out the mini fear attraction.

Halloween Gathering

Oct. 22

2016 marks the second year for the Halloween Gathering in Millennium Park. Many of Chicago’s creative communities and local organizations will gather for a festival at 2 p.m., and a magical parade will begin at 6 p.m. Notable participating institutions are the Chicago Symphony Orchestra and The Art Institute of Chicago. Admission is free for all to enjoy the activities, dancing, and Halloween art.

leaf-3Chicago Costume Company

1120 West Fullerton

Lincoln Park’s Chicago Costume store is a great place to look for the perfect Halloween outfit. This year-round shop features everything from masquerade masks to Pokemon costumes. The store carries a number of recognized brands and carries plus sizes, kids outfits and pet costumes. In addition to items for purchase, Chicago Costume also sells rental outfits. The store is located across from the Quad at 1120 West Fullerton, so students can easily stop by after class or on the weekend.