Top five summer album releases

Screen shot 2014-09-08 at 1.57.46 PM
Photo illustration by Andrew Morrell

1. “Lazaretto” – Jack White | June 10
Ever since the 2011 breakup of the White Stripes, Jack White has made sure to keep himself busy. After the release of his successful 2012 solo album “Blunderbuss,” White wasn’t sure when his next solo LP would come out. The wait is over. His second solo LP is one of the most anticipated of the summer. He gave fans a taste with the blues drenched instrumental “High Ball Stepper” that shows off his expansive musical skills. Expect more of the dirty hard rock riffs, with some mellow folk and country inspired tunes on this album. With this release just around the corner, it may just be one of the best albums of the year.

2. “A.K.A.” – Jennifer Lopez | June 13
No one makes a good club song like Jennifer Lopez. Taking elements of funk, R&B, hip-hop, dance and Latin, Jenny from the Block’s eighth studio album is sure to have songs to get wild to. The album will feature the sexy and upbeat track “I Luv Yuh Papi” along with “Same Girl” and “First Love.” But she won’t be delivering the hits alone. Pitbull, rapper Nas, Rick Ross and Iggy Azalea are featured on the album. With help from friends like that, JLo is sure to have another hit on her hands.

3. “While (1<2)” – Deadmau5 | June 17
It’s no doubt that Deadmau5, pronounced “dead mouse,” is one of the biggest names in EDM whether he likes it or not. After providing several online rants about the state of electronic music, he’s ready to release the party soundtrack of the summer with his seventh studio album. Pronounced “while one less than two,” the release will span two discs giving you plenty of pulsating beats and rhythm to dance away the night to. While the digital album comes out June 17, a physical release will be available June 24.

4. “Redeemer of Souls” – Judas Priest | July 15
Though summer is the time for pop music to shine, there’s something for the metal heads out there too. Legendary band Judas Priest are going back to their heavy metal roots with this upcoming release. Rob Halford is back behind the mic, providing glass shattering falsetto vocals that will make your ears bleed. Song titles like “Down in Flames,” “Crossfire” and “Halls of Valhalla,” this LP comes barreling at you like a runaway train. This is a release that is sure to please old school and new Judas Priest fans alike.

5. “Similar Skin” – Umphrey’s McGee | June 10
If you haven’t heard of Umphrey’s McGee then you haven’t been paying attention. This Chicago band experiments in so many genres it makes your head spin. Bits of psychedelic rock, metal, funk, blues and folk make up their eclectic and mellow sound. Their eighth studio album will be the perfect match for those late night road trips with friends or even late night strolls on the beach. This band proves Chicago still has amazing bands, you just have to know where to look.