Weekend round up: July 25-28

Back to school advertisements may be taking over commercials and your local Target and Walmart, but there’s no need to panic yet. Luckily, us DePaulians (who aren’t taking summer classes) still have 6 weeks left of summer to soak up.  This last weekend in July is still full of fun festivals and activities throughout the city to go enjoy.

Fiesta Del Sol will be taking place in the Pilsen neighborhood this Thursday through Sunday. The festival features a ton of activities including an Arts and Culture Pavilion showcases local talents, Copa Fiesta Del Sol – a weeklong soccer tournament, as well as education and civil rights of immigrants Booths. You can also enjoy delicious Latino food and music from local artists at Fiesta Del Sol. All the proceeds from the festival go toward empowering the Pilsen community through scholarships to local youths and support work in education reform as well as other community issues.

Closer to the Lincoln Park Campus this weekend is Taste of Lincoln Avenue.  This Saturday and Sunday on Lincoln between Fullerton and Wrightwood Avenues will be crowded with typical festival fun including four music stages, a street craft fair showcasing DIY artists and a kids’ carnival with a petting zoo.  There’s a lot of great and diverse music being featured on each of the four stages this year. ’80s cover band Sixteen Candles will take the Altgeld Stage Sunday night, while indie rock band Company of Thieves will be at the Montana Stage Saturday night.  EDM and DJ lovers should check out the Capacity Bar Group Wrightwood stage all weekend, talents like Zebo and Tommie Sunshine are just a few of the talents playing this weekend. 

If you have a sweet tooth, this Saturday is your lucky day. Whole Foods Market stores will be having a free ice cream social event from 2 p.m. until 5 p.m. sampling ice cream and other frozen treats. Each store is in charge of their own ice cream social, so what’s available will differ between stores, but hey- it’s still free ice cream.