Filed under News

How ‘Peter Rabbit’ teaches kids to save the planet

Liam Heneghan examined children's books' role in teaching kids about environmentalism.

Jamie Moncrief | The DePaulia

Jamie Moncrief | The DePaulia

When DePaul environmental science professor Liam Heneghan’s children left home for college, he thought of how he had managed to raise such dedicated, concerned young adults who care deeply for the world around them. The answer — children’s books.

All of these books personify animals in order to tell a story, but they keep children focused on the text. Children’s literature can instruct kids on a variety of topics, and with the release of his new book “Beasts at Bedtime: Revealing the Environmental Wisdom in Children’s Literature,” Heneghan aims to show how they can  teach children about their environmental surroundings too.

“I think there’s a general recognition that, in order to confront the problems of the future, kids need to have a firm education in environmental issues,” Heneghan said. “In terms of environmental literacy, I think the kind of most important thing is to ensure that children care.”

That includes books ranging from classics like “Peter Rabbit” and “Doctor Dolittle.” Far from being mere picture books, these works can actually have a vital impact on the way in which young minds understand the natural world around them.

Heneghan’s idea to write his book wasn’t a process that happened overnight. It took him 18 months in total to write, with five years of planning beforehand. In March 2013, Heneghan wrote an article for Aeon, a digital magazine covering culture and philosophy, titled “The ecology of Pooh,” which Heneghan described as being his “first meditation on the topic of how children’s literature embed environmental themes.”

Heneghan’s two biggest influences in publishing the book, he says, were his professional work as an environmental scientist and his two children leaving home for college.

“I’m kind of an environmental scientist that’s reaching out to children’s stories just providing kind of a road map to parents and guardians about … how much there is in that literature. That’s the idea,” Heneghan said. “Literature has always played this role in cultivating the minds of young people.”

Over the course of Heneghan’s career, he has mainly worked on issues surrounding biodiversity laws and conservation. On a local level, he partners with numerous area forest preserves and a variety of landowners to help them look at how they can better protect Chicago’s woodlands, wetlands and prairies. Heneghan has also been involved in  issues related to invasive species and management.

Heneghan says that when his children left home, he began to reflect upon the effectiveness of the literary environment he had created for his two kids by way of the books he read to them as kids. Now adults, Heneghan described them as people who are “engaged in the world and interested and literate and empathetic and caring to animals and interested in the future.” As he reflected on his own children, he thought of how  other children could similarly grow up to become well-rounded, environmentally responsible citizens who love the world and other people. He ultimately realized that literary reflection plays a vital role in developing those traits.

“The book really then aims to show that the books that kids are already gravitating towards have a lot of environmental literacy embedded in them, but embedded kind of an organic way — stories that kids actually want to hear rather than … specialized books warning about the parallels of climate change (and) global warming,” Heneghan said.

While environmental literacy is portrayed in the book as being important to children gaining global awareness, child literacy itself serves as an important stepping stone in early childhood education, according to Roxanne Owens, department chair of teacher education and associate professor of elementary reading at DePaul.

“Children’s literature is key to a child’s education,” Owens said in an email. “Books help with everything from child-parent bonding, to early language development, to learning simple concepts at an early age, shapes, numbers, letters, to more complex topics at later ages, history, science, mathematical concepts. Books also help children learn more about themselves as well as helping them learn about the world around them.”

Marie Donovan, director of DePaul’s Early Childhood Education Program, believes that Heneghan’s book adds another dimension to expanding how environmental education can be taught at a young age, and she hopes it will lead to more research in the future.

“Where I don’t see the literature moving just yet — and I think (Heneghan’s) research will go a long way in making this happen — is in incorporating environmentalism as yet another virtue one should aspire to owning, something that’s attainable and part of living a good life,” Donovan said. “Children learn better when they can connect with a character, and can see how that character is living her or his life. We need more books that contain settings, characters, and life lessons that model for children how to be natural, authentic environmentalists.”

Even though “Beasts at Bedtime” has only been on the market since May 15, Heneghan hopes that it will encourage not only parental-child conversations of environmental literacy, but also holistic conversations of literacy moving forward.

“Specifically what I want out of this is that parents will kind of recognize that the stories that they’re reading to children have a lot more important messages in them than perhaps they realized, and that it can hopefully promote conversations about favorite books that otherwise wouldn’t occur.”

5 Responses to “How ‘Peter Rabbit’ teaches kids to save the planet”

1. Caden Sage on June 5th, 2018 3:47 am

This is my story, a true life story on how I survived an abusive husband(s). Please read and share.

Leaving an abusive marriage was life threatening, I was scared of the post-divorce lifestyle. I felt starting afresh with another man seems impossible at my age because my husband(s) always downplays my emotions making me feel like a worthless woman. Yes, I was married thrice.

I was betrayed by a friend, cheated upon by husband(s), beaten, jailed but I never gave up, I chose to ride or die with my current 5-year-old marriage because of love, our children and our shared finance. Though I love my husband to a fault and believed I can change his mindset through spiritual means before we go our separate ways.

After domestic abuse and emotional conflicts comes spiritual father, Dr. Wakina with redemption and restoration via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com with the spell that ended my abusive circle. I also escaped social pressure.

I wasn’t wrong afterall sticking to my husband and changing our lifestyle through spiritual doctors. Believe me, we’re living our dream lifestyle for over 5-months with much love and respect for each other.

2. Miraclespellhome@yahoo.com on June 12th, 2018 5:33 am

I was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously came Across Dr Miracle, the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his Email: (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) I Explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 Disease totally after receiving his Herbal medicine, So My friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Miracle,that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS,LOW SPERM COUNT,ALS,ANCE PIMPUS,LUPUS VIRUS,You Can “CONTACT Via : Email : (MIRACLESPELLHOME@YAHOO.COM) You Can Contact Him Today And Get Your Problem Solved Or”Whats-app +23408071398555,)))

3. Zain on June 21st, 2018 5:35 am

I used to suffer from HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS for about 3 years. No medications or treatments ever really did anything for me (i tried them all no one work. but I was actually able to completely cure HERPES naturally after countless hours of online research. What worked for me is as follows: I saw Dr CAMALA Information online that he normally cure and treat disease and infirmities with his Herbal Medicine, I never really believed the people who where recommending him thou i saw on blog about 6 people where also testifying on how they were cured by Dr CAMALA, and still Ellen recommend Dr CAMALA who uses herbal medication to cure HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS and gave me his email, so i mail him He told me all the things I need to do and also give me instructions to take, which I followed properly.Before I knew what is happening after two weeks the HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS that was in my body got vanished. so if you are also heart broken and also need a help, . if you are infected with any disease like HIV,AIDS, CANCER,HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS, or any other disease you can also be happy like me by contacting…..
    Name: Dr.CAMALA
    Email him: dr.camalahivadscure@yahoo.com
    What apps Number: +2349055637784
    I“m given you 100% grantee, soon as you have getting in touch
    with Dr.CAMALA your problems will be solved accurately.
    Thanks..

4. Ellery Adrian on August 10th, 2018 9:30 am

I started seeking for help when I was desperate to see the good in my life because I was blinded by deception, expecting loyalty from a man who can’t be honest with himself. For 2 years’ happiness seems overrated while depression and anxiety took over my life.
    One of the hardest thing I did was not not moving on because I trust my marriage will work again someday.
    During the search to regain my sight and improve my marriage, I came across this email dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com owned by Dr.Wakina love spell master. Immediately after a successful love spell was cast, my life was given a meaning, my husband changed his attitudes and started focusing on me and the family. He became my everything. We became truthful to ourselves.
    I appreciate the time and effort he (Dr. Wakina) put into giving our lives a meaning.

5. Michelle Armstrong on August 20th, 2018 4:47 pm

I cannot believe this… MY EX HUSBAND IS BACK TO ME!!!
    My name is Michelle. This is a story of Doctor Odunga who brought my ex husband back to me in 3 days of contact. He told me me he would do it but i didn’t believe him but decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise, my ex husband came home and started playing with the kids and gave me a kiss on my cheek, knelt down on his knees and begged me for leaving without a goodbye. I heard he had woman he was seeing before he left me and i was devastated which made me seek help in a spell caster such as Doctor Odunga. I also met this man through a testimony about him and i contacted his email at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com and when i explained things to him, he told me not to worry. I am very happy today that my husband who left me for over 2 years, came back home. I asked him what about the other woman and he said that was his past and nothing will ever make him leave again. I am thankful to Doctor Odunga. Contact him to help you now at odungaspelltemple@gmail. com