James Franco, Frank Bidart visit Northwestern

The Poetry Foundation, along with the Chicago Humanities Festival, presented actor and writer James Franco and poet Frank Bidart to discuss their passions for poetry, writing and film Wednesday, Feb. 17.

A true triple threat and A-List actor, Franco directed a short film titled “Herbert White” in 2010 after Bidart’s famous poem from 1973.

Fans of Franco and Bidart anxiously waited outside of the doors to Thorne Auditorium at Northwestern before the event.

“We’ve been with James from the beginning … since the James Dean movies,” Mr. Snyder, who declined to give his first name, said as he waited in line outside of the entrance with his wife. The couple has traveled with Franco throughout his career and has seen him grow as an actor, writer, director and now, a poet.

Along with about 100 other fans, the Snyders had plans to meet Franco after the show for a book signing. “I am excited to see the program as whole and spend a couple of minutes with James and see what he is really like as a person,” Mr. Snyder said as he and his wife entered the auditorium searching for open seats.

As expected, the Snyders were the oldest of the crowd. Mostly surrounded by college students and young women, the auditorium filled with eager fans of Franco.

It was clear that Franco was the main attraction of this event ,but surprisingly Bidart, 74, also embodied the same wit and charisma as Franco.

The two seemed to have a bit of a “bro-mance,” meeting years ago after Franco met with Bidart about adapting his poem into a film. After an eight-hour dinner, Bidart became excited to work with Franco. “James’ performance in ‘Pineapple Express’ is genius,” he said. “It’s beyond categories.”

Franco also showed respect for Bidart and his works of poetry. “I was getting these tingles from the poem (“Herbert White”)… so I thought ‘I’ll adapt this poem,'” Franco said.

Bidart and Franco’s passion for poetry, film and writing came through as they discussed their projects.

“I wanted my poems to be like films in the fluidity with which they put together material,” Bidart said.

Bidart read his poem “Herbert White” at the event, mentioning that it was only the third time that he has ever recited the poem in public. The poem features a deranged murderer who hides his secret from his family.

“‘Herbert White’ is not, I assure you, autobiographical,” Bidart joked to the sold out audience of 700.

Franco read three poems from his upcoming poetry collection “Directing Herbert White,” which will be released this April. The poems relate to his directing experience as well as his opinions and ideas about Hollywood.

The audience left the event feeling like Franco had become more than an actor to them.

“It was definitely something I wasn’t expecting. I knew he (Franco) had a deeper side through his films and books, but his poetry revealed a different side of him that I respect,” Emily Fife, senior, said.

Bidart will continue to work on poetry, as Franco will be in Chicago for the next month rehearsing for “Of Mice and Men” on Broadway.