Fashion hits and misses at the Grammys

Thousands of people spent last Sunday night bundled up watching the 56th Annual Grammy Awards that aired on CBS. Despite the miserable weather here in Chicago, LA provided the perfect climate for the world’s most famous artists to celebrate their achievements.

Typically, the fashion hype surrounds the ladies of the red carpet, but before we dive into their trends, the gentlemen deserve their 15 minutes of fashion fame. It’s safe to say that Pharrell stole the show by showing up wearing what looked as if it was the sorting hat from Harry Potter, but with the amount of Grammy’s this producer has won, he’s earned the right to wear whatever he wants.

Macklemore, another Grammy winner, made history with his “Same Love” performance, but he also stunned the viewers when he showed up in a velvet, emerald green suit. Macklemore’s producer, Ryan Lewis, opted for a grey and black houndstooth-printed suit.

Now enough about the guys. The Grammys always provide an opportunity for artists to showcase their personal style and take major fashion risks. While, the women kept it pretty tame this year, they still looked flawless.

Grammy nominee Katy Perry wore a Valentino gown straight from the runway. The white, sheer dress even had music notes that read like sheet music, proving the outfit to be very event appropriate. 

Anna Kendrick wore a lilac Azarro dress with strategically placed cutouts. But it was her onstage joke with Pharrell about reenacting BeyoncêÑÔ©’s “Drunk In Love” performance that caused more hype than her revealing dress.

It wouldn’t be an award show without country/pop sensation Taylor Swift. Swift’s red carpet dress was designed by Gucci and was completely covered in beading that hung perfectly on her petit frame. The Grammy nominee joked to Ryan Seacrest during an interview that she thinks her dress is “bulletproof” because of how heavy and armor-like the gown wore. DePaul alum, Andra Pintiliuc, live tweeted the singer’s performance by saying, “Love her or hate her, that dress is gorgeous. #taylorswift #GRAMMYs”

Another major red carpet moment came from the usually casually-dressed Colbie Caillat. The acoustic singer wore a red, one shouldered Erza Couture dress with a topknot in her hair that styled the dress to perfection.

And of course, always save the best for last. The best dressed of the night was none other than Queen Bey herself. BeyoncêÑÔ© skipped the red carpet before the show, probably to prepare for “Drunk In Love” performance. Soon after she changed into a Michael Costello gown that was made with a combination of sheer fabric mixed with white floral lace showcasing the mogul’s curves.

When talking about best dressed, one inevitably wants to know which celebrities missed the mark and made horrible fashion decisions. This year, one of the worst dressed celebrities is none other than Robin Thicke’s wife, Paula Patton. Patton must have taken her fashion inspiration from her husband because her zebra print dress by Nicolas Jebran resembled the black and white suit her husband wore during his now infamous performance of “Blurred Lines” with Miley Cyrus at the MTV awards.

Another artist who didn’t hit a fashion high note was Grammy Award-winning country singer Kacey Musgraves. The singer wore a colorful and bedazzled mini dress that looked as if the embellishments were her own doing. DePaul senior Seda Calbay made her opinions about Musgrave’s dress clear by commenting, “Holy short dress. She looked like a polished doll.”

Whether you’re watching the Grammys for the music, the fashion or the ridiculous dancing (Taylor Swift), this is one award show that never disappoints.