Yuletide cheer in Chicago theatre

Every winter, a barrage of Christmas classics inundates the stages of Chicago. Some of these performances are magical and some are tired. This year, though, the city is alive with alternative holiday productions. Though tradition holds a special place in the heart of the theater community, innovation drives it. The DePaulia had the opportunity to explore some of these unique shows and speak with artists who are a part of them. If you are willing to travel off the beaten path this winter, here are some productions that you won’t want to miss.

“That’s Weird, Grandma: Holiday Special”

Barrel of Monkeys, an incredible program founded in the 1990s, enables students to watch stories that they have written come to life onstage. This winter, a holiday rendition of the program is lighting up Neo-Futurist Theater. The DePauliahad the opportunity to speak with Bradford Stevens, who has long been involved in the program, to learn more about the show. Stevens takes part in both school and public performances.

“I love them both,” Stevens said. “In schools we get to do six-week writing workshops and each week we focus on a different style of writing. After the six weeks are over, we have a reading meeting where all of the teachers read the stories and then we go through a rehearsal process.”

While the program is a part of many Chicago schools, “That’s Weird, Grandma” refers to the rendition of the performances that the public has the opportunity to experience.

“That’s Weird, Grandma is an ongoing show every Monday at the Neo-Futurist Theater,” Stevens said. “Basically, ‘That’s Weird, Grandma’ is the best of the stories that have been written since the group was founded in the mid-90s”.

“Barrel of Monkeys” fosters an incredible fusion of education and theater.

“One of the best things is when you call out a kid’s name and you see their face light up and they get to see their story performed,” Stevens said. “It is still the greatest thing to see, even after years of being in the company. It never gets old.”

This season, many of the stories are holiday-themed. “That’s Weird, Grandma: Holiday Special” is a unique holiday experience that will surely provide something for everyone.

In the words of Stevens, “Sit back and get ready to be entertained.”

“Holidaze”

This season, Step Up Productions’ “Holidaze”is also bringing something special to the Chicago’s holiday theater scene. The DePaulia had the privilege to speak with renowned Chicago actress and artist, Nambi Kelley, who has written one of the plays that comprise this series of one acts.

“It’s an eclectic blend of holiday tales written from very different vantage points,” Kelley said.

Though the show is a fusion of unique “mini-plays,” they share a theme of coupledom and explore how this relationship is affected by the holiday season.

The play that Nambi wrote for the collection is titled, “For My Brothers Whenever I May Find Them.”

“It’s about a family that has lost their matriarch,” Kelley said. “The matriarch comes back as an ancestor to try and bring the family together for Christmas.”

Though acting and writing comprise two separate facets of Kelley’s career, they hold much in common within her life as well.

“I think acting is easier,” Kelley said. “Writing should be simple but the process of writing, for me, can be very cumbersome and tiring. That being said, I do enjoy them both. They come from the same source, my source of creativity.”

“Holidaze” provides a gentle, fast-paced and moving work in both its form and its content. It will provide something truly touching for those that are seeking a new look at love in the midst of the holiday season.

“Bring your joy,” Kelley tells her audiences.

“We Three Lizas”

About Face Theatre’s “We Three Lizas”is a raucous, sparkly and delightfully unconventional take on Dickens’ classic tale, “A Christmas Carol.” The show is full of color and life; it is an accessible holiday spectacle that can be enjoyed by anyone and everyone. It is packed with talent and vibrancy, though the intimate theater encloses the audience within the performance rather than isolating them.

“We Three Lizas”reminds audiences of what a new take on an old tale should be: fun. It is an element that is often lost on shows that are striving to prove their worth, but Stage 773’s newest endeavor revels in it constantly.

Though the cast is talented and the set is a visual feast, actress Danielle Plisz is the glue that binds the show together. She takes on the role of “Liza Was.” Though she comprises only one character, her presence, in true “Ghost of Christmas Past” spirit, is felt throughout the production. She is talented, vivacious and spot-on in her Liza Minnelli impersonations.

“We Three Lizas” is the epitome of an unconventional holiday show and it is one that should not be missed. It is explorative, hilarious and touching. It is continuously testing the limits of where it can go and constantly showing us that it is never impossible to find newness in everything.