DePaulidays: Four festive Lincoln Park events this holiday season

With the first flurries of the season falling to the ground, the holidays are certainly around the corner. For some DePaul students, this signifies the end of fall quarter and the beginning of a long winter break at home with friends and family. Yet for other students staying near the Lincoln Park area, the holidays are a time to enjoy the local festivities. Lincoln Park will play host to various holiday spectacles from Thanksgiving through the New Year.

1. The Lincoln Park Conservatory’s Show House will be presenting a Winter Flower & Train Show starting Nov. 30 through Jan. 5. This family-friendly event is open daily from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Adults and children can watch vintage model trains make their way through a miniature village of poinsettia plants. The varieties of poinsettia plants are named with special holiday themed names like “eggnog,” “peppermint twist,” and “ruby frost.” The village, made entirely of natural wood materials, contains models of famous Chicago neighborhoods and buildings. Holiday trees and lights transform the Show House into a winter wonderland. 
  2. Lincoln Park Zoo will once again be presenting its annual ZooLights show for Chicagoans to enjoy. The lights will be turned on Nov. 29 and will shine brightly from 5-9 p.m. every Friday through Sunday until Dec. 13. From that day forward, the lights will be on nightly from 5-9 p.m. until Jan. 5, excluding Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. The Lincoln Park Zoo will also offer holiday gift shopping, food, carousel rides, and pictures with Santa Claus. Offered for the first time this year will be ice skating in the Farm-in-the- Zoo section. Zoo lovers will be able to ice skate daily until 9 p.m. starting Nov. 29 through March 2, excluding Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Admission and ice skate rental are five dollars each.
  3. Taking place at DePaul’s Concert Hall Dec. 4 at 7 p.m. will be a holiday concert presented by the Chicago Children’s Choir. The Chicago Children’s Choir is a union of neighborhood choirs in Chicago from Lincoln Park, Rogers Park and Hyde Park, among others. The Dec. 4 performance will feature young singers of all levels from the Lincoln Park Neighborhood Choir. Although the event is not ticketed, a five dollar donation is suggested. This concert is the first in a series of holiday concerts for the choir, culminating in two final concerts Dec. 15 in Evanston and Hyde Park, respectively. The Chicago Children’s Choir will surely offer cheerful holiday sounds.
  4. The self-proclaimed “Best Holiday Party Ever” will be returning for a second year Dec. 10 at the MINI of Chicago from 6-11 p.m. Catered by some of Chicago’s tastiest restaurants, the event will also feature entertainment from the cast of the musical “Million Dollar Quartet.” The show brings to life the 1950s one-time collaboration of music legends Elvis Presley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins. The music of these four icons will be the musical backdrop to the event. There will also be a raffle and auction for various prizes from gift baskets to trips to mystery Chicago destinations. The proceeds from the event will go to the Lincoln Park Community Shelter to help the homeless men and women of the area. The Best Holiday Party Ever is an opportunity to celebrate the season while helping others in need.