News briefs 11-11-13

New approach to summer classes

DePaul is taking steps to make its summer classes more appealing to students. The 10-week quarter traditionally has been divided into two sessions; however, a new initiative will add new start date options for students.

For the first time, students will be able to take summer classes that start in week three of the summer quarter. The traditional start dates in week one and six, formally known as “Summer 1” and “Summer 2” will still be available as well as the option to take a 10-week session of intensive sequenced courses. The week three option has benefits for both students and faculty.

“The week three start could prove highly attractive to faculty and students, since it provides two weeks of free time after Commencement and still leaves the entire month of August free,” said Anne Clark Bartlett, a professor of English and a Special Assistant to the Provost for Innovation and Academic Planning. “We are hoping that enhanced summer offerings will increase student retention, encourage effective planning, accelerated degree completion and reduce student debt.”

Nominee Robinson to speak at DePaul

Nominee B Robinson, an international business leader and one of the first volunteers with the Peace Corps, is coming to DePaul to speak about leadership and the global marketplace.

Currently an executive vice president of strategy and business development for Silverbird Group in Lagos, Nigeria, Robinson has also worked as a consultant and was an executive at Kodak for 12 years. As a trained architect, Robinson served in the Peace Corps for two years in India’s Punjab state. He went on to become a Peace Corps recruiter to encourage other young Americans to serve.

Robinson’s talk, entitled “Business Ethics and Global Leadership,” is being presented by DePaul’s School of Public Service and Vincent on Leadership: The Hay Project. He will be giving the talk four times on Nov. 12 and 13.

Established in 2002 “Vincent on Leadership: The Hay Project” has worked to develop leadership concepts and practices inspired by St. Vincent de Paul. The Hay Project’s goal is the continuance of the legacy of St. Vincent’s organizational genius and leadership skills in the service of others.

Handbags with heart

The Social Enterprise Collaborative will be hosting its fall event Nov. 13. The event will showcase Ethos Bags, a social enterprise led by two DePaul MBA alumni. At the event the Alumni will share their story, their vision and goals as they move toward a large-scale launch and upcoming Kickstarter campaign.

Ethos Bags works directly with the Shipibo tribe in Peru to source designs that are unique. They then work with Chicago-area fashion designers to incorporate the material into their designer handbags and other items. The group hopes to help two constituencies at once with their business model and epitomize the best of social enterprise.

The event is co-sponsored with DePaul Net Impact and is held in coordination with the Field Museum. The event will take place in the DePaul Center Nov. 13 at 9 p.m.