Leather: Not just for greasers anymore

Previously associated with bad boys like Danny Zuko from the 1978 film “Grease” and biker gangs, leather has made a comeback as a chic and edgy statement piece for women. No matter the season, leather is a staple fabric making a huge splash on the fashion scene.

Other than the typical sighting of boots, jackets and purses, leather has made its way onto sleeves, shorts, skirts, dresses, pants, bracelets, hoods, leggings and trim on any article of clothing. This fabric has not only proven to be versatile, but also superior to other common fabrics.

“When I think of leather, I think quality,” Jasmine Armand, a senior journalism major, said. “It’s legendary and iconic in a way.”

The 1980s brought popularity to leather by punk culture trends. People who incorporated leather within their outfits were oftentimes heavy metal fans determined to offset popular trends. In that period of time, incorporating leather into anything other than a jacket seemed borderline dominatrix. Since then, sporting this fabric has become a sign of trendiness.

Leather remained on the fashion scene in the 1990s, with a softer look for women who paired the leather jacket with a short skirt for a grunge look. Goth crowds also donned pleather (imitation leather made from polyurethane) in the form of knee high boots and other pieces. The late 1990’s brought forth the leather trench coat for women attempting to embody a stylish, confident, cruel, assertive, sexy or domineering essence.

Today, we see leather covering every inch of women’s wardrobes. DePaul accounting major Andrea Ghibaudy manages to integrate leather into most of her “going out” wardrobes on weekends. “There is just something so trendy and effortless about (leather) that makes me want to wear it all the time.”

Shorts and skirts made from leather may seem conflicting in the sense that heavy fabrics aren’t typically donned in warm weather, but this makes those items ideal for all seasons. In the summer, leather shorts or skirts can be worn on cool nights out, while fall and winter allow fashionistas to pair them with tights and boots.

Emily Rosen, a senior public relations and advertising student, thinks leather jackets are a true investment. “Its versatility makes it a timeless piece,” Rosen said. “It works with everything from floral dresses to destroyed denim. You can’t go wrong.”

Worn with a skinny pant, heels and a few accessories, a leather top in a neutral color makes a great outfit for a casual night out. This is a twist on the classic tee and provides a sexy alternative. Leather jackets and purses will always be essentials in women’s wardrobes, but there’s no better way to punch up your look than incorporating the fabric in unique ways.

Super soft leathers can be attached to sleeves and trimmings of tops and dresses to give a daring touch a sultry look. Designers across the globe incorporate leather in fun silhouettes to loosen up the hard look that was often associated with this fabric.

Leather can be purchased at almost any hip store these days. Akira, a local boutique, has hundreds of genuine and faux leather pieces ranging anywhere from $25 to $250. Jenna Messina, turns to the store Forever21when in search for a cheap leather find.

“Forever21 is like a haven for faux leather,” Messina said. “I’ve purchased leather jackets, leggings, pants, tops and dresses for under $30 at that place.”

Leather has transitioned from being a “trend” to a permanent feature over the past few decades. There seems to be an agreement among fashion culture that leather updates any outfit to a new level of chic. Whether faux or genuine, this fabric is here to stay.