Glee’ cast remembers Cory Monteith in tribute

Fans and cast members of “Glee” said goodbye to Cory Monteith and his character Finn Hudson last Thursday night. The cast paid an in-character tribute to their beloved quarterback through kind words and heartfelt songs. Monteith died this past July at the age of 31.

The episode, titled “The Quarterback,” began in signature “Glee” fashion – with a cast rendition of “Seasons of Love” from the Broadway musical “Rent.” The cast, including present and former stars of the show, lined the McKinley High stage all wearing black suits and dresses in solemnity. Afterwards, Kurt Hummel (Finn’s stepbrother) could be heard narrating, noting that it has been three weeks since Finn’s funeral. He also stated that many people wanted to talk about how exactly Finn died, but he wanted to focus more on how he lived. Fans were never clued in as to how the character Finn died, but this was likely a calculated move on the part of the writers of the show. The writers likely wanted fans to focus on the positive aspects of Finn’s character, as well of the character of the actor who played him, rather than his tragic death.

The episode focuses mainly on past cast members, those that worked most closely with Monteith, and their characters’ emotions surrounding Finn’s death. They were invited back by glee club director Mr. Schuester to memorialize him in their own way. Mercedes Jones (Amber Riley) belted her way through her own version of “I’ll Stand By You” by The Pretenders, while Santana Lopez (Naya Rivera) gave a beautiful rendition of “If I Die Young” by The Band Perry, among other emotional performances. Although scripted, the sadness of the cast in this episode was more than realistic.

Almost every character had a difficult time processing their feelings about Finn Hudson’s death. His stepfather Burt Hummel expressed regret that he did not give Finn enough hugs to show him love; his mother questioned how she would be able to go on without her son; Finn’s best friend Noah Puckerman wondered who would lead him in the right direction in his life. Puck, in particular, had a difficult time coping with Finn’s death, turning to drinking and even stealing a tree that Kurt had planted in Finn’s honor to keep as his own memento. He did replant the tree by the end of the episode, and resolved to join the Navy for Finn.

The bittersweet aspect of the episode was the comedic timing. Sue Sylvester, known tormentor of the glee club, still managed to make a few snarky comments, even in the midst of mourning. She was berated by Santana for the way she treated Finn over the years, and was even shoved by her. The scuffle seemed a bit out of place in the episode, but essentially served a purpose. Santana later apologized to Sue, and in turn Sylvester expressed her suppressed, positive thoughts about Finn.

Rachel Berry, Finn’s long-time love interest played by Lea Michele, did not appear until nearly the end of the episode. Michele was romantically involved with Monteith up until his death. It was ultimately with her approval that the cast and crew continued shooting after Monteith’s death. Her character Rachel, wearing a “Finn” necklace, gave a short speech about Finn to her former McKinley High peers, before singing a tearful rendition of Adele’s “Make You Feel My Love.” She gave Mr. Schuester a plaque she had made with Finn’s picture and a memorable quote of his to be hung in the choir room. The episode ended with Mr. Schuester leaning on Mrs. Pilsbury’s shoulder, crying into Finn’s letterman jacket.

“The Quarterback,” while a tribute to Cory Monteith and his character, was not an episode without a larger purpose. The proceeds from iTunes downloads of the episode’s songs will go to the charity Project Limelight, which Monteith was closely involved with. Also, at the end of the episode, “Glee” cast members joined for a public service announcement on the dangers of drug abuse, urging fans to get help for themselves or anyone they may know who is struggling with addiction. Monteith battled addiction on and off for many years, and died in July as the result of a drug overdose.

The show will not return with another episode until Nov. 7 in order to give the writers of the show time to figure out the direction of the rest of the season. It will be interesting to see if the writers make any references to Finn’s death, particularly with characters Rachel and Kurt. Although saying goodbye to Monteith was difficult for the “Glee” family and fans, all parties should be satisfied with the honest and respectful sendoff he and his character were given.