Food deserted: Dominick’s closure gives DePaul students fewer grocery options

Located right next to the Fullerton ‘L’ stop, the Dominick’s on the Lincoln Park campus is the go-to grocery store for many DePaul students. Due to weak profits, Dominick’s is pulling out of the Chicagoland market by 2014, Safeway Inc. announced Thursday Oct. 10.

“Safeway has decided to exit the Chicago market and focus its efforts in other operating areas where business is stronger,” the company said in a statement.

Dominick’s is a tenant in the DePaul-owned building at 959 W. Fullerton Ave. The building, Centennial Hall, is a residence hall and home to several offices. The university has not received any information from Dominick’s regarding what will happen to the space, DePaul spokesperson Carol Hughes said.

Joe Boateng, a customer service manager at the Fullerton location, said about 100 people work in that specific store and that they are not yet sure when the store is going to close. He said they should know a plan by early 2014 and that “the information you could find online is what we know.”

DePaul junior India Mayer said she was very upset that Dominick’s is closing.

“For students at DePaul, such as myself, Dominick’s is a staple that provides the perfect ‘quick pit stop’ grocery experience,” Mayer said. “I shop at Dominick’s for the convenience and I will certainly miss the accessibility.”

For students who do not have a meal plan or need additional items, Dominick’s is the closest grocery store within walking distance of campus. The other closest grocery stores in walking distance from campus are Treasure Island Foods at 2121 N. Clybourn Ave. and Trader Joes at 667 W. Diversey, which are both about a 10 minute walk.

Safeway has sold four of its 72 Chicagoland locations to New Albertsons, Inc., that operates Jewel Osco. No additional information is available on what will happen to the other 68 Chicago Dominick’s locations.

“I am incredibly disappointed at the news that Dominick’s will be leaving,” Mayer said. “I hope that another convenience shop of some sort is place in [the] exiting building,”