Chicago Gourmet 2013: The perfect weekend outing

The sun was shining radiantly and there was a gentle breeze coming off the lake as thousands of anxious foodies and wine-lovers congregated at Chicago Gourmet 2013.

Millennium Park served as the culinary background for the sixth year anniversary of this food extravaganza.  Presented by Bon Appetit, Chicago Gourmet featured more than 100 restaurants, 180 chefs, vintners, breweries, wine tasting and live cooking demonstrations from chefs around the world.

With tickets ranging from $173 for a one-day pass and $288 for the entire weekend of Sept. 27-29, guests came fully prepared to get their money’s worth of fine eatery. 

Second year attendee Zach Moon, 22, of Chicago, thought the weekend-long event was well worth the high price.

“This is the most highly anticipated culinary event of the year,” Moon said. “There’s no way I’m missing it.” 

There were 11 tasting pavilions featuring different restaurants, so long lines were inevitable.  Attendees didn’t mind waiting, due in large to the easy access of booze and an easy-going crowd, according to Moon. 

People had plenty of time to digest their previous meals while waiting in line for Supreme Lobster & Seafood’s tasting pavilion.  This tent featured six different dishes, and people waited close to an hour to taste their dishes.  The hefty proportions of finfish, lobster, shrimp, crab, and shellfish were uniquely crafted into plates that people could share in groups of two to three.

Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse made a killing at the festival as well, with lines similar to that of their seafood competitors.  Gibson’s tent featured their classic USDA prime steak between two mini buns, along with a flavorful pulled pork mini-sandwich cooked to please any taste bud. 

Food lover Scott Anderson, 24, from Chicago enjoyed the Hamburger Hop burger showdown the most, which kicked off on Friday on the Harris Theater Rooftop.  Out of the 15 chefs who faced off during this competition, Rockit Burger Bar’s top chef Amanda Downing constructed Anderson’s favorite burger.

“The brie, fried shallots and date aioli provided the perfect combination of sweet and savory that I crave,” Anderson said.

Many pavilions, such as MITY Nice Bar & Grill provided bite-sized samples like their lump crab double egg with basil oil. Even with small portions, there was no way to leave the event with an empty stomach. It was possible to taste anywhere from 15-30 samplings throughout each day, not to mention all of the liquor vendors serving beer, wine, vodka, whiskey and mixed cocktails.

Whether the restaurant was famous or unfamiliar, each offered unique dishes.  Chef Lamont Donley of Uncommonground on Clark promised his chili would not disappoint, claiming, “This is the best chili you’ll ever taste.” Donley’s vow proved to be true, considering the amount of people walking around with his cup of meaty chili.

Chicago Gourmet attendee Tess Johnson, 31 from Park Ridge, Ill., offered some helpful advice to future attendees. 

“Pace yourself,” Johnson said. “There is no limit on the amount of food and alcohol you’re allowed to consume during the weekend.” 

“Any truly dedicated food connoisseur could potentially visit every food and alcohol tasting available,” Johnson said. 

A few days’ worth of unlimited gourmet food proved to be worth the long lines and large chunk of money spent.