Weekend round up: August 15-18

It seems hard to believe, but there are only four weekends left until the school year begins again for us Blue Demons. Luckily, a nice tan and great summer memories will make first day syllabi read-throughs and icebreaker games a little more tolerable. Make sure to savor the last of these summer days in the city, and check out all Chicago has to offer this weekend.

The Glenwood Avenue Arts Fest will be taking place this Friday through Sunday in the Rogers Park neighborhood. The free festival will be featuring more than 100 hundred artists as well as open studios and live entertainment on three outdoor stages. All of the art that’s featured is created by the exhibiting artist, locally produced or community oriented.

Begin your Saturday morning with a kick and head over to Great Lawn at Millennium Park for a series of workout classes. The classes start at 7 a.m. with Tai Chi with Enso Martial Arts and then continue all morning. Yoga begins at 8 a.m. with music from Bossa Tres. Then Pilates with Chaturanga Holistic Fitness starts at 9 a.m. And finally Zumba begins at 10 a.m. with Chicago Latin Fitness. Each of the classes is 45 minutes long and free to attend.  

Fans of  “Lord of the Rings” can spend their Saturday evening at the Ravinia Pavilion, where the Chicago Symphony Orchestra will be performing the complete score of “Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers” as the movie is shown on screens in the pavilion and lawn.  Reserved seats are sold out, but lawn seats are available for $25. Doors open at 5 p.m. for the 7:30 p.m. performance, and the first 500 guests in the park will receive a free Chicago Symphony Orchestra t-shirt.