Taste of Chicago: do’s and dont’s

The Taste of Chicago is a delicious tradition for the city. The ability to get food from some of the best restaurants around the city in one location is a foodie’s (or just anyone who’s hungry) dream. But it’s important to spend your time and money at the taste wisely- those food tickets aren’t cheap. So here’s our list of Do’s and Don’ts for getting the most out of your Taste of Chicago experience.

Do – Get the smaller sized taste portions from vendors. For between one and five tickets try just a taste of the delicacies offered from the different vendors. This lets you try out more restaurants without breaking the bank or your waistband. 

Don’t – Buy food you already have had before. Let’s be honest we’ve all probably had Lou Malnati’s deep dish pizza and Eli’s Cheesecake more times than we’d like to count. There’s no reason to shell out tickets for food you already know you like.  Be adventurous. Try something you’ve never had before from the Bombay Spice tent or Kasia’s Deli. This isn’t the time for being a picky eater.

Do – Visit the cooking corner for demonstrations, classes and recipes. Being a college student can mean being on a tight budget. Chicago restaurants have delicious food but they can be too costly for some. Cooking your own food is a much cheaper and usually healthier option. Check out the cooking corner for tips from professional chefs and learn how to make yummy food for yourself. 

Don’t – Forget your sun block and water bottle. The taste is a day or at least afternoon-long event for most people. Staying hydrated in the July sun should be a priority, especially if you’ve been eating salty food all day. A full belly is also the only thing you should be taking away from the taste, not sunburn. If you’re prone to sunburn make sure to lather up on that SPF 50 before heading out. 

Do – Visit the Budlight Stage. Everyday from noon to 8 p.m. local talent will be performing on the Budlight stage, and each day has a different theme of performers. Saturday’s line up of Indie Rock bands from Chicago is especially strong with Company of Thieves closing out the night. The only thing that makes Chicago food taste even better, is enjoying while listening to Chicago music. 

Don’t – Purchase tickets for the Petrillo Music Shell concerts (unless you’re a super fan). Although tickets aren’t that expensive for the shows, paying for seats when there’s free lawn seating is just unnecessary unless it’s your favorite band. You’ll be able to hear the concert just fine from the lawn, although your Instagram shots maybe a little blurry. Concerts are all about the experience of hearing music live anyway, paying $25 for closer seats won’t make it sound any different.