Weekend round up: July 12-14

Although the Taste of Chicago at Grant Park seems to be the major festival to hit up this weekend, there’s still a lot going on in the rest of the city. So take a break from the crowds of hungry foodies and tourists and experience the flavors Chicago has to offer this weekend.

If all the Taste of Chicago talk is leaving you hungry, consider hitting up Burger Fest on Belmont at Damen in Roscoe Village this Saturday and Sunday. The sixth annual festival features burgers from some of the most delicious restaurants around Chicago. Whether you like traditional burgers, gourmet ground beef creations or veggie burgers, Burger Fest has got you covered. If the food isn’t enough to entice you, the festival has a great music line up that includes 1990s pop band Sister Hazel closing out the main stage Saturday night.

The sound of fiddles, harps and classic Irish tunes will be playing extra loud this weekend at the Irish American Heritage Center as Irish Fest is back again. The weekend long costs $15 at the door, but is packed full of entertainment. Traditional as well as contemporary Irish bands will be taking the stage all weekend long as well as performances from multiple Irish dancing schools. If you’ve got a competitive streak, there are contests for freckles, men in kilts and mashed potato eating.  Head over to the spirits and craft beer tents if you’re over 21 to taste the best Irish whiskey and beer the festival has to offer. Just like on St. Patrick’s Day, everyone’s Irish when it comes to Irish Fest.

If you want to do something classically American this weekend, get tickets for the Chicago Cubs versus St. Louis Cardinals game this Sunday at Wrigley Field.  The Cubs Cardinals rivalry is only second to the one between the Cubs and Sox, which means it’s always an exciting game to be at. Grab tickets online at stubhub for $35 and spend a lovely Sunday evening at the ballpark. Buying a box of cracker jacks and hot dog to fully enjoy the game is recommended but optional.